A few set up questions

Questions about all other brand differentials.
67drake
Rookie Poster

A few set up questions

Post by 67drake »

Hi Jim, a few questions came up while starting the work on my 8.5. Some may be obvious,but I don't want to take a chance and ASSUME anything here.
1. Difference between 5 cut and 2 cut gears? I ASSUME 2 cut means one cut on the coast and a seperate cut for the drive side of the ring gear,correct? That means my Yukons are 2 cut then?
2. While checking preliminary set up,i.e. backlash,pattern,this is done with the carrier caps in and carrier cap bolts torqued to spec?
3. I honed out my old back pinion bearing so that it is now a "slip fit",so I don't ruin the new on during set up,but what about the frontmost pinion bearing,(the one by the yoke),do I hone this one too,or use the new one right away during set up?
4. I read on a different site that they put green locktight on the carrier bearings when installed,Yukons instructions don't mention this. Is the green locktight necessary there?
5. I bought a 0-60 in. lb. beam type torque wrench to check pinion bearing preload,I would think this would be better than a clicker type torque wrench?
6. Carrier bearing preload,kind of vague. Do I make it as tight as I can get it by i.e. tapping it in with a rubber mallet, just dropping in by hand,or in between?
Sorry if these seem like simple questions,but I just don't want to chance it.Thanks!
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: A few set up questions

Post by monzaz »

ok WE WILL SKIP 1 because it will take more area...lol
2.) Yes you should install every thing as if it were actually install...even torque if you want to be absolutely sure. This is laborious but this is what WE get paid to do. It makes certain that the carrier is totally seated in the carrier housing saddles completely so the pattern and backlash will be correct.
3.)Honed out bearings...Inner (back) is all you should need to do as the press on the outer (front) bearing is LESS of a press fit like .001-.002 as the inner is .003-.004 ish
4.) ALWAYS lick tight the ring gear bolts. Period. red blue or green...USE something. We us red and blue...I am sure the green will be fine too.
5.)Inch pound wrench. YOU can not use the click type torque wrench because it is a SPINNING torque reading there is NO stop when you take this ready...you will spin it constant and watch the arm to what torque it takes as you spin...IF you do not have this wrech a slight drag with the pinion bearings lightly oil will give you a goo bearing life. If you spin the yoke and it free spin or you haer bearing rattle YOU ARE NOT TIGHT ENOUGH...If you feel too much or tight spots you went too far.
TIP: You have to really take your time and creep up to the tightness of the preload on the pinion bearing as you CAN NOT GO BACKWARDS!!! you will need a NEW crush sleeve. TAke your time and be patient. :)
6.) Ok carrier preload.... AGAIN the more you do the better you get... experience is a BIG plus here. IF the carrier can be pulled in and out by hand tug then you need more preload for sure. IF you try to hammer the shims in and it is almost impossible you are TOO TIGHT. A light tap with a brass drift and regular 1-2 lbs hammer is all that is needed....NOW as far as how to add preload.

EXAMPLE: IF you have a slip fit unit and the backlash seems to be where you need it. (.005-.008) 240 drive side and 230 on passenger side shim packs. Just reconfigure .002 for each side and reshim the carrier and see if that make the packs equally tight. If not you have to keep adding pack equally to each side.

EXAMPLE: If the back lash is TOO WIDE say .012 : 240 drive side -230 passenger side
with again the carrier slip fit. To bring the carrier to proper preload and also at the same time bring the carrier to proper backlash specs of (.005 -.008) . ADD .004-.006 TO THE DRIVERSIDE CARRIER SHIM PACK AND RECHECK SPECS.

VISE VERSA FOR THE CARRTIER TOO TIGHT ADD THE SHIM TO THE PASSENGER SIDE.

Good luck on your install.
J D Race
67drake
Rookie Poster

Post by 67drake »

Jim,on # 4, the web site (I believe it was "justdifferentials) said to retain the carrier BEARINGS with green locktight. But,like I said I have not read that anywhere else,so just wanted your opinion on that.
Also,I bought a ring gear spacer and a longer set of new bolts from you.The ring gear spacer I got from you said to torque ring gear bolts to 58 ft lbs.,but the ring gear bolt kit said to torque to 45 ft. lbs. Original shorter ones would have been 65 ft. lbs.. I currently have them at 45.Correct?
Thanks!
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

I returned your call today.

I torque them to 60ft lbs. and have never had an issue again.

Green is usually used on alot of machine shop machines where vibration is an issue. Use one of the 3 for sure. :)

Richmond used to put blue in there kits...I almost believe what ever thise companies get for cheap they use...lol. Jim
J D Race