'59 Olds Diff Questions

Questions about all other brand differentials.
Mikes57
Newbie Poster

'59 Olds Diff Questions

Post by Mikes57 »

Hello all, this is my first post here. I'm in need of some info on the '59 Olds posi centersection. First, which would answer most of my questions is, does anyone have an exploded view of this center section and also, I could really use some instructions for rebuilding it properly. Parts for these old girls are getting hard to come by so I'd like to do it right the first time around. I just had my housing narrowed and big Ford housing ends installed. I'm in the process of ordering axles and need to go through the center section as well. If you need any pics or numbers to help ID what I have, just let me know, I can probably arrange that too.

Not that it matters, but this diff will be going in my '57 Chevy 210 model sedan. 8)

Thank you,
Mike
'57 Chevrolet 210
'97 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 ECSB
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/375032
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: '59 Olds Diff Questions

Post by monzaz »

Mike, Glad to see you using the site. Hope it helps and please bare with us we are always working on it and trying to ad good GM info for guys like you that need the help .

Ok on to the question: A picture of the exact unit you have will help. There are generally to different types they should both be clutch type units (uses series of plates to energize and lock the axles when the car goes straight.

We have the Power Lock unit that has a 4 pinion x shaft to support the 4 spider gears inside the carrier posi (limited Slip carrier case) and a eaton type unit with a single cross pinion shaft that the spider gears are supported on... Now there maybe other posi units out there in the olds pontiac gasser drop out third members but these seem to be the most common. If it is different we will walk you through that one also.

So let Id the limited slip unit (posi) and will go from there.

The power lock will bolt together with about (8) 4-5" long bolts
The eaton will all disassemble from the inside out...incased in a solid clam shell carrier case.

Stay tuned, we are on the way to reconditioneing this unit. Jim
J D Race
Mikes57
Newbie Poster

Post by Mikes57 »

My apologies for not posting earlier. It looks like I've got the Power Lock style of posi. I was under the impression that there are 2 cross-shafts, not 4. But I haven't taken it apart yet either. I spoke with Brad at Fabcraft Metalworks and we deciphered that I've got a '62 'early-style' carrier and posi. I ordered a complete carrier kit and the Safe-T-Track posi kit, both for '57-'63 type center sections from him. He seemed like a very knowledgeable cat and pretty decent guy to talk to also.

Here's a pic: http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/s ... 1_full.jpg
It may not come up, cardomain seems to be down for maint. right now.

I'm going to try to get my hands on a '62 Olds Service Manual. I've been told that it should have full instructions, diagrams etc. for a rebuild. I'm pretty sure I'll tackle this myself, as I'm sure I can pull it off fairly easily with a little help from this board and guys like Brad.

So, I've got a couple of questions at this point. What specialty tools am I going to need to do this properly? And, am I safe to order my axles now or should I wait until the center section is rebuilt due to ???

Thanks again,
Mike
'57 Chevrolet 210
'97 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 ECSB
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/375032
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Mike to rebuild the posi unit it self...Nothing more than hand tools and a good big vise to hold the axle shaft in.

disassemblely is always easy...Take care to pay attention where it all goes. Take it slow and enjoy the learning process. :)

It is really not hard to do...the vice is to hold an axle (spline up ablout 2-3" out of the top of the jaws) and you will put the power lock on it to retorque the carrier bolts in and it will keep the unit stable and you will be able to toqure the bolts with the torque wrench properly with out trying to figure out how or what to hold the carrier in place with. lol

Ordering axles. Well are you shortening the housing? or leaving it. If you are shortening it I would wait if you aree just replacing stockers measure and order. Jim
Attachments
100_8250.JPG
3.23 posi 9.3 drop out P O 1.jpg
3.23 posi 9.3 drop out P O 1.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 12583 times
J D Race