71 Buick 8.5

Daniel828
Rookie Poster

71 Buick 8.5

Post by Daniel828 »

Hi Jim
I have a Buick 8.5 rear with an Easton posi. The clutches are worn and it's a one wheel peel now. Theres a car show at English town raceway park on Sunday the 1/8 mile is open and I want to make some passes.
Can I change the fluid and NOT add the GM additive to make the clutches grab a little better jus t for this weekend?
Thank
Dan
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 71 Buick 8.5

Post by monzaz »

Fluid will not get your posi back...Probably not even a little. If the clutches are that bad the only thing that MIGHT happen is you will blow your spider gears.

Best to pull those clutches and see what is happening then if you need a new set purchase a STEEL clutch set- They are MUCH better for spirited hard drivers BUT can be a little noisier when making turns etc.

I know this is NOT the answer you were looking for...BUT do also remember it is YOUR car and you can take the chance if you want.

What was the fluid in the rear that your using. IF you were using Synthetic it could be the trouble on over slipping clutches.

Also BE sure your track burn outs get equal water and NEVER do a dry burn out at the track. ... track is much too sticky for that punishment on the rear and drive line parts.

Jim Mitschke
J D RAce
J D Race
Daniel828
Rookie Poster

Post by Daniel828 »

Thanks for reply, Jim
I changed the fluid, valvoline 80/140 convential. Still slipped but I didn't go to the track, I parked it for fear of further damage
So I'm in the market for clutches, do you carry them for this rear?
I saw video from Randy's where he eliminated the springs and added shims to make the spider gears a little tighter? Is this ok to do?
Thanks
Dan

Ps. I don't mind a little noise on turns, I like it to hook!!!!
Daniel828
Rookie Poster

Post by Daniel828 »

One more question
When the clutches are worn, can I feel like it's slipping? Similar to a manual trans clutch going bad?
Thanks
Dan
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

We have new clutches. I always try to shim the clutches with harden shim stock as much as I can before opting to NEW clutches at 200 dollars a set.

adding a .010 or 0.10 depending on how much is worn away can be the difference. Do clean all the clutches and this way you are starting fresh with fluid against the clutch pack just in case contamination is the issue in your slippage. .

Jim Mitschke
J D RAce
J D Race
Daniel828
Rookie Poster

Post by Daniel828 »

Well, it turns out I don't have an eaton. It's a cone style diff. Is there anything I can do to improve it? Can I put a mini spool in there?
Will pics help?
Thanks
Dan
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

wE CAN MACHINE those units and shim etc.BUT only once in the units life.
We have done MAny over the years and so far all have been happy with the reconditioning of their units.

We normally do not charge over 150.00 for this service as anymore then we need to start talking about new unit when you get to 200-250 in the reconditioning.
IF the unit is complete and the cones are just bottoming out it is rebuild-able here.

Jim
J D RAce
J D Race
Daniel828
Rookie Poster

Post by Daniel828 »

Hi Jim
I'd like to send my diff in for the repair
What do you need from me? And what do I need to do to send it in, reference number or something?
Thank you
Dan
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

PM sent
J D Race
Daniel828
Rookie Poster

Post by Daniel828 »

Hi Jim,
I sent my diff in for the repair. I sent via ups yesterday but I forgot to include a note after I taped up the box.
I also sent in the axles, I'd like you to take a look at the bearings. They seem a little loose?
This is the rear I've been having axle endplay issues with, and the play seems to be in the in the bearings
Thanks
Ps I tried calling a few times but I didn't leave a message so I figured I'd post it up here
Dan
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Axles and unit are in and were working on them. Sorry about the phone been out in the middle of the week. Were back now.
J D Race