1970 Buick GS 455 Rear

thorgir666
Newbie Poster

1970 Buick GS 455 Rear

Post by thorgir666 »

Hi, new to this forum, and new to this in general. In advance I would apologise for any bad english, as I'm from Norway.

I've been helping my father with his Buick. When he got the car, there was a noticable vibration coming from the rear. We tried different wheels/tires, and that helped a little bit. On closer inspection we found that the endplay on the passenger side axles was quite substantial, so we pulled the axle, inspected it, and replaced the bearing. It also helped a bit, but it is still vibrating. What we found out was a wobbling on the axle flange (aka the roundness in lack of a better word). The retainer plate on the axle is also bent somehow, so we suspect that it might have been involved in a minor crash somehow. Picture shows passenger side.
This is driver side, without the "wobble". The retainer plate is not deformed like the one on the passenger side
My father and I have concluded that we might just buy a new pair of axles, but I would like to hear from more competent guys before spending the money.
The axles are 28 spline, overall length (outside flange) is 75.3cm, 5 on 4 3/4.

Here are som crappy pics of the rear. I'm having trouble identifying exactly what rear it is.
Here is the stamping I've found on the axle tube, passenger side.

No bushings or anything have been done so far on the rear. Drum brakes on rear.
Any help/tips are much appreciated.

Regards,
Torgeir
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 1970 Buick GS 455 Rear

Post by monzaz »

Glad to be of help if we can.
Sorry to here your having vibration issues BUT as we all know these Muscles cars take a beating from owner to owner over years so the more stuff wrong does not help get to the actual root of the trouble... So keep replacing what you know is old and or out of spec.

REAR ID - 10 bolt Buick/ Olds 1971 1972 8.5 Corporate GM rear end.
it will have 28 spline axles
Oiled bearings (set 9 Timkin...or A9 everyone else) 712146 seal part number (Timkin in this case will have he most correct specs on the seal and bearing.
We have tried other and the seals are what every other company seems to really fail on.

The retaining plate is really not too much a concern. The next time you ever remove the plate just straighten the corners in a vise the best you can it should still do the job well ...IF the center round area is untrue then you might need to replace the retaining plate as it should touch the seal diameter equally when torque against the flange / backing plate.

If you have a local machine shop with a long enough lathe ...chuck it up and have them check it out no more than .002 run out on the flange to bearing surface chucked. I am sure you can run more...BUT the more you run the more you will have to tolerate the issues...
perfection is tough these days with all the manufactures putting out parts quick.

You have to remember your parts are 40-50 years old and curbs are hit burn out hard track runs all lean towards torture of parts. Even gravity is trouble...

We have NEW axles and can get you Moser race axles with even higher alloy mix.

J D Race
Jim
J D Race