Headlight Switch

Jazz
Rookie Poster

Headlight Switch

Post by Jazz »

Any Help ! ! !
Turning the headlight switch knob to it's extreme counter-clockwise position to the lock position, with the knob pulled out turns the instrument
dash lights ON... (they are not on till then)
If you turn the knob clockwise off the lock position the instrument dash lights go OFF...
Can NOT dim the dash lights at all,,, it's either off or on...

Also the dome and courtesy lights will only work by opening the door's will NOT work from the headlight switch....
(by turning the knob to it's extreme counter clockwise lock position)

Any Idea's,,,,,,
Thank You,
Vince...
monzaz

light electrical headaches

Post by monzaz »

well it sounds like grounds are causing the problems. But it could be as simple as 2 seperate problems also.

1> the headlight switch coil pod could be totally worn out...Which is a very common problem with the 1968-1972 switches.
2> The wire could could have corroded away from your door striker switch or the switch is just bad again. best way to test the switch is to remove it and jump the wires and see if you get action...
3> a simple fuse depending on what is in the circuit. see if anything else in that circuit is not working that you might not have noticed.

Old wiring is not fun to deal with. You could just have an exposed wire messing up the works.

Do the simple things first. grounds and testing switches. Courtesy light fuse...but you do have dash lights so I doubt that one.

Jim
Jazz
Rookie Poster

Post by Jazz »

Jim,,

Thank You Much.
I too was thinking, (hopefully ground).. lol.

I will give each of your idea's a shot.
and I'll get back to you and let you know how it works out..

Thank You,
Vince...
monzaz

light probs

Post by monzaz »

Ok please do . Oh yah nice PINK PIG by the way...lol. That is my nephew with his south park stuff....lol Have fun with it. :lol:
Jazz
Rookie Poster

Post by Jazz »

lol... lol...
I thought the big pig was fitting ! ! ! ... lol... lol...
Thank your nephew for me...

Now.... back to the wiring.....
I believe we had a two fold problem...
I happened to get my hands on a test switch, via - a good friend ! !
I popped it in AND the dash lights dimmed up and down....
((one down))
but, the dome light still only worked with the doors....
SO.... I tried running a jumper wirer to a good known ground and the headlight switch.....
AND.... the dome lights worked with the headlight switch....
SO,, It was the switch and a bad or poor ground at the switch assy....

MAN ! ! ! ... Am I glad I didn't have to get into all that wiring under the dash...

ALL is right with the world ! ! ... lol... lol...
Got luckly on this round.... lol...

Thank's for The HELP ! ! ! ! !
(Hope this can help someone else)
monzaz

lights

Post by monzaz »

Yes That is why it is here. I hope more people can be helped. I just need people not to be afraid to ask for help. I am sure there are a ton of people with the exact same problems out there but just to afraid someone might think ' well that was a dumb question' ... If you do not know the answer or really need help no question is a dumb question here. Good luck. Jim