S10 rear-end

Questions about all other brand differentials.
86s10
Newbie Poster

S10 rear-end

Post by 86s10 »

What would the cost roughly be for a full GM 8.8" rear end?

Housing, axles, posi, drum brakes, etc?

Application is ~400HP V8-converted S10 with T56 tranny.

Not an expert in these things so looking for some guidance.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: S10 rear-end

Post by monzaz »

Not worried about HP on the street- What are you doing with this truck? Drag race street burn outs freeway ??? Jim

Drum brakes are you wanting NEW drum brakes installed or are you wanting to use your existing drums?

Base 8.8 is - base cheapest it can be built is 950.00 recon ford 8.8 posi and good used 28 spline axles. usually strong enough for anything on the street and some track runs easy
all the way up to 1800.00 New Moser axles New posi etc. billt moser end...you can get totally wacky too disc brakes - Money is the only limit. :)
Attachments
IMG_6336.JPG
J D Race
86s10
Newbie Poster

Post by 86s10 »

No track. Street only. Not planning on abusing It much.

Not sure if disc brakes are worth it? Should I just go for beefy fronts?

Would you trust used posi rear and axles? Worth springing for the new stuff to prevent issues?

You are the most knowledgable guy when it comes to rear ends I've seen on the net so I defer to your expertise!
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Well I always say IF you can afford to get the NEW stuff. Can Never go wrong there. Remember we do not sell USED posi units we sell reconditioned so they will always work. If it does not will make it right...lol.
For the street a good recon unit will do fine.

Is the V8 Fuel injected or carbed? What are your intentions for the truck. Show off mobile burn outs or top end or just cruise low? Sit and think it thru- Find out a budget for the rear. NEVER try to find the cheapest try to set a good amount and see what you can get in that price range. 1500.00 usually gets you pretty good parts that will hold at the track and the street.
I am sure you do not NEED disc...Most get it because they have rims you can see through to the rotor and drums are just not glamorous in the looks department...:)

Will you be hitting the freeway for any length of time or just hanging around town?
J D Race
86s10
Newbie Poster

Post by 86s10 »

It's a supercharged Vortec 4800 out of a early 2000's Silverado. Fuel injected.

I live in NYC, so city driving + freeways when I get out of town.

Not planning on thrashing the thing. Not looking to go super cheap, but ~$2000 seems like a decent price range - can that get me new axles + posi unit + disc brakes + 4.11 gears?

The truck has a 6-speed so high ratio shouldn't be an issue :)
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

I will crunch the numbers for you. Send me a email address in a PM here so we can send it to you. Jim
J D Race