350c trans swap to 700r4

Transmissions and parts for sale
bigroneshouse
Rookie Poster

350c trans swap to 700r4

Post by bigroneshouse »

i have a 84 gmc g2500 van,i was told i can swap th350c to 700r4 trans,just wondering how hard it is,and how?????
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 350c trans swap to 700r4

Post by monzaz »

Might have to move this thread as this is for sale parts... LOL.

The swap really is not that hard. especially if you do not need the lock up converter option.
- Make sure your tunnel will accept the larger /longer bodied 700r4 trans.
- Then you will need to move the tranny cross member back so the mount will line up for the tail shaft support.
- You will need to find a shorter drive shaft or have your old one cut to fit.
- Carb will need a detent stud for the throttle arm as the 700r4 trannies shifts are all controlled by cable.
-fab or buy a stock bracket to hold the detent 700r4 cable
-That pretty much is it.

The lock up option will require a vacuum pod that transfer the signal for locking and unlocking or they do sell aftermarket units that work off of speed sensor through the speedo cable.

So it has been done a million times over and there are ALOT of people with experience that can help. I have this on my personal 1971 SS monte carlo 454 and enjoy it very much.

Jim
J D Race
bigroneshouse
Rookie Poster

Post by bigroneshouse »

Swap just completed,i had to do a little extra work to get it in,i had to get a new kickdown cable since the that came with trans was to short,i also had to get another cross member because there was a difference between the 350 member i had,so i got a donor member out of another van that had a 700r4 in it,funny enough though i didnt have to do anything with drive shaft,it fit perfectly in,i also had to get another dip stick because the one that came with trans from a truck,so i got one off a 92 safari mini van that as well had a 700r4,it is just a little longer 1/4 in than the original one,but all and all it wasnt that bad of a swap. Thanks again jim
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Great job... Thanks for letting us know you have that part complete. Jim
J D Race