More questions on Buick rear end

Questions about all other brand differentials.
Wildcat_65
Rookie Poster

More questions on Buick rear end

Post by Wildcat_65 »

I have a 68 Skylark 2.93 open rear.
Is there a difference in width between that one and '69 GS350
3.23 posi rear end?
Thanks, Ted :?:
Wildcat.
monzaz

buick

Post by monzaz »

No there is not width difference between the 68 -72.... I also was told the only different ones were 64-65 and that the 66-72 were even the same width....Now I find that hard to believe with gm producing the same body styles from 1964-1967 and then changed from 1968 -1972. The rears will all bolt into the cars and interchange from 1965-1972 but you may have a width difference of up to or minus an 1" over all and 1/2" on each side.

If you are using stock backspacing rims this might be an issue. but for any after marker=t wheel this should not be a problem .

Hope this helps and remember before buying any differential measure what you have first then measure what you are buying and measure then both the same way to make sure of the fit.

I am confident in that the 68 69 70 71 72 models are all same over all drum to drum width. Jim Mitschke J D Race
Wildcat_65
Rookie Poster

Post by Wildcat_65 »

Right! I know I had a problem once with my 65 Wagon.
Measured my new assembly and it was 1" wider, and I knew
the wheel and tire combo I had was not going to be happy
with that extra width. Now i am over cautious.
I'll have to measure the '67 again.
It seems like I did measure a 67 and expected the width to be the same as the 65, but when I compared to my new assembly (70 a-body) it was the same. At the time I figured I measured wrong, maybe the 67 is the wider job.
Thanks, Ted
Wildcat.
monzaz

rears

Post by monzaz »

The biggest problem is the year factor. MANY years have gone by and if your car has had many owners ...the likely hood the car is all original becomes less and less. Back then You would just go to the yard and pick up any rear that fit and slam it under the car. lol. FITS, right? :)