Previous buyer looking for an option to 8.2 rear ?

Questions about all other brand differentials.
Roofuss
Newbie Poster

Previous buyer looking for an option to 8.2 rear ?

Post by Roofuss »

Jim : Purchased a complete 8.5 posi & 10 bolt rebuild kit from you this summer for my 72 Nova and was very satisfied, and worked great ! I sold the car since .Anyway, I recently bought an early '65 El Camino L-79/ 4 speed car with a 10 bolt posi with a leaking pinion seal ,{ unsure, but would guess its a 3:08 ? } . It is the 8.2 unit and am looking for something stronger,{ 12 bolt posi ? } that will bolt in ? OR. can the 8.2 be made strong enough for street use ? Any ideas, would like to keep the cost down and if I go the 12 bolt route, want a bolt-in housing, with rear drum brakes ,etc. and ready to go ? Whatcha think ?? Thanks, Roofuss :?:
PS : Unsure ,but "think" the car would have been originally al 12 bolt and been swapped out some tima ago ? :idea:
monzaz

10 bolt 8.2

Post by monzaz »

For the street 10 bolts work great even minimal race applications.

The problem with the 8.2 rear is the gear ratios are limited and expensive.

aftermarket gears are 3.55 3.90 4.10 maybe 4.56

at least 200-260 perset depending on the ratio.

12 bolt expense is the actual housing. 1965-1967 are like camaro housings... gold.

I can sell you the stuff for both or can build a 12 bolt 68-72 but I do not have any 65-67 to fit ytour car exactly. there is only a 1" width difference between the 2 rears. that comes to 1/2" on each side.

12 bolt with all new part including drum breaks bolt in are around 1685.00 plus shipping. Original GM housings used.

I do have some good open box specials on the BOP stuff right now. so might be a good time to decide the way you would like to go. Jim
Roofuss
Newbie Poster

Post by Roofuss »

Jim : As with the Nova rear, no plans to race the car , but just wondered as the Elky has a 4 spd. manual { Nova was auto trans and had an 8.5 10 bolt } . If the current 8.2 will stand up ,I might just as well beef it up . Unsure of the present ratio, but it is a posi and would want a "highway gear " such as 3:08 or ? The trans is a wide ratio M-20 Muncie { lower first gear than M-21 } . Rebuild kit cost ? What about clutch paks for the posi unit ? Anything else ? I'd have the same buddy who did the Nova rear do this one as well. The Nove rearend turned out excellent and the new owner is in the middle of completing the car . Thanks , Ralph
PS : You have my home email if you'd rather go that route ?
monzaz

10 bolt

Post by monzaz »

No, were cool now...See I got it right away when I have the email not blocking stuff.

As long as your spider gears are good...clutches are all you will need.

standard clutches are 99.00 carbon fiber are 139.00. a set.

8.2 3.08 gears are street strip Yukon gears are 169.99
8.2 standard stock type replacement gears are 139.99

Rebuild kit is 78.50 + 29.00 for the axle bearing and seal kit for a mega rebuild kit.

That should build it pretty good. Jim
Roofuss
Newbie Poster

Post by Roofuss »

Ok Jim , Thanks . Gonna be alittle while as I have a few things to take care of first, but I will be in touch when I'm ready for the stuff . Have to first find out the ratio and condition of the internals before doing so . Appreciate the help, sir ........Ralph :D
monzaz

10 bolt 8.2

Post by monzaz »

I am here when ever you are ready. Jim