76 Vega V8 Rear End

Questions about all other brand differentials.
Mark in INdiana
Newbie Poster

76 Vega V8 Rear End

Post by Mark in INdiana »

I have a 76 Vega that will have 560 hp, 525 ft lbs SBC with a 5 speed manual trans. Street and strip use. Sticky DOT tires. I need a torque arm type rear end to replace the 7.5 in it now. Looking at the Strange 12 bolt center section because of the through bolt torque arm attachment design. Rest of the axle build will have; 3.73:1 gears. Eaton posi unit. Up graded axles with 5 on 4 3/4, 12x1.5mm wheel mounting studs. C-clip eliminators. 1330 U-joint forged yoke. Girdle cover with fill and drain. I will use the cars current 9 1/2 x 2” drum brakes. I have new control arm and panhard bar mounting brackets for it. Is this something that you can build? Thank you. Mark.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 76 Vega V8 Rear End

Post by monzaz »

We have already done this. Moser Engineering

NOT CHEAP!
Attachments
IMG_8010.JPG
IMG_8008.JPG
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

more pics
Attachments
IMG_8009.JPG
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Housing is a camaro 1982 - 2002 narrowed to monza width
We have to get all the housing brackets from a donor rear that has GOOD clean brackets.
They need to be measured and removed and then installed onto the NEW housing in the correct angles and locations... tediously.
Then build the complete rear.
Do you have the 9.5 x 2 backing plates?
We can use s-10 brakes if we modify the flange ends ...it can still be the same width as stock but the s-10 brakes are MUCH easier to get dowen the road than the monza vega drum brakes.
Jim
J D Race
Mark in INdiana
Newbie Poster

I have the Vega rear drum brake backing plates. The brake hardware has been updated to S10 when I did the front and rear 5 lug conversions so I think I’m good there. I also have new fabricated axle brackets for the control arms, springs and panhard bar. Do you need my existing Vega rear end to use for fixture set up, reference, etc...?
I’m 3.5hrs due west of you on 80/90 but have no problem with the drive.
Mark
Mark in INdiana
Newbie Poster

I have the back plates off for powder coating now so they should be ready in a week or so.