DODGE 8 3/4 rearend

Questions about all other brand differentials.
astre7573
Newbie Poster

DODGE 8 3/4 rearend

Post by astre7573 »

hi, new guy here.

i have a older dodge 8 3/4 rear end in my vega. Its a street driven car only. the current rear has (5x4)4 inch bolt pattern what makes it hard to find the correct rims i need. i can order new axles but was wondering i if i could re-drill the old ones to 4.5, i know there is not much there but someone has said this can be done and has done it before. remember it is just a street car. thanks for you r help.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: DODGE 8 3/4 rearend

Post by monzaz »

Really would be better to get different axles because i am sure it will get harder to find drums and if you ever need new drums you will need to drill them too. I personally would get the 10" backing plates and buy axles for the 10" brakes and 5 on 4.5 MUCH better wheel disc brake kits drums etc all accessible parts.

BUT Yes you can drill the axles out and will need to drill the drums. Just remember if someone does it wrong you will have a vibration headache.

I assume the rear you have under the car is a a- body Mopar narrow? We have good axles that are fairly reasonable for that rear.
Just get any 10" backing plates off most mopar rears. and get rid of the button inside the carrier for adjustable axle bearings and use Green bearings. It will make your life much easier
I think we have 2 alloy 1541 axles loaded with bearings and retaining plates and studs for 355.00
J D Race
astre7573
Newbie Poster

Post by astre7573 »

thanks for answering, i was hopping you would. i have no idea what the car the rear end came out of as i bought it from a friend who had it in his vega and from i can see it has not be narrowed. i am not sure where you are located but i am in toronto canada, do you ship here.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

We ship everywhere... Just gets expensive out of the country...Well even in the country these days it is expensive. YOU WOULD think since price of fuel went down the transit companies would relax on the fuel sir charges for a bit...NO... they are just greedy.
J D Race