auburn pos unit

Questions about all other brand differentials.
robertwg
Newbie Poster

auburn pos unit

Post by robertwg »

Hi Jim, you responded to a post I made on v8 buick site about a 10 bolt chevelle rearend that is in my 65 buick gs. Well the 3.23 gear set that the guy had for this auburn unit has a 27 spline pinion so I guess thats buick. What do I need to look for to tell if this auburn unit is for a buick or chevelle. I am assuming the guy bought this for the car not knowing that it had a 68 chevelle rearend under it. How much would this auburn unit and ring and pinion be worth? Looks like I'll probably be selling it.

Thanks Bob
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: auburn pos unit

Post by monzaz »

Please also post some pictures and will take a look see.

Auburn unit look at the side gear in the unit to see if it has a recessed back cut for the c-clip to seat in ...IF it does not then this unit is for bolt in axles only meaning it must be a 8.2 Buick Olds or Pontiac. IF you can not even gain access to see the side gear area it is most likely a factory unit and will again be for a bolt in axle 28 spline.

Is the Auburn aftermarket NEW or is it aftermarket used OR is it a factory Auburn unit?

GEARS - are the pinion spline count 27 or 25 where the yoke splides on?

Will be waiting.

If in goo condition - from 250-450 package deal both together. AGAIN this will depend on how bad someone wants the parts and how good condition the parts really are. Jim
J D Race
robertwg
Newbie Poster

Post by robertwg »

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x44 ... nit001.jpg

Here are the pictures you requested. There are 3 attached to this link.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Need shot of the inside of the spider side ear or you need to check for the recessed back cut pocket for a c-clip to go in. This will tell you if it is a chevy type unit/ THIS is a AFTERMARKET AUBURN unit . Will work good as long as it is in good condition with the cones. I do not know the mileage and life it lead. Ned to do a bench test with break away torque.

Count the axle spline in the side gears through the bearings. 28 should be the count. WHAT size are the ring gear bolt holes 3/8 or 7 /16" Jim
J D Race
robertwg
Newbie Poster

Post by robertwg »

monzaz wrote:Need shot of the inside of the spider side ear or you need to check for the recessed back cut pocket for a c-clip to go in. This will tell you if it is a chevy type unit/ THIS is a AFTERMARKET AUBURN unit . Will work good as long as it is in good condition with the cones. I do not know the mileage and life it lead. Ned to do a bench test with break away torque.

Count the axle spline in the side gears through the bearings. 28 should be the count. WHAT size are the ring gear bolt holes 3/8 or 7 /16" Jim
It is 28 spline 3/8 ring bolts and I don't see any undercut for a c clip. What do you mean by aftermarket Jim?

Thanks Bob
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

aftermarket meaning it did not come original in a producution car or truck. The Auburns that came in a production car will BOLT together the case is 2 halves not one piece as pictured.

This in no way makes them worse or better usually... Just makes them a bit harder to ID because they all basically look the same in the aftermarket. 10 bolt 8.2 , 8.2 BOP and even 8.5 and EVEN other brands like ford and mopar 8.25 8.8 will ALL look the same. Only ring gear bolt holes and spline count and physical measurements will help ID these units. :) Jim
J D Race