help

Questions about all other brand differentials.
jman23
Newbie Poster

help

Post by jman23 »

I have an 02 z71 with a 373 10 bolt 8.5 limited slip i think it has a 31 spline axle the ring gear from what i can tell is good but the carrier is busted up. can any one help.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: help

Post by monzaz »

Hey jman23...Glad to see you here. Your truck has a 30 spline unit and is a 8.6 differential

1999-2009 are the only years you can use OR you can use aftermarket Eaton and Auburn and torsen posi unit also.

They all have the larger hub for the larger a36 carrier bearing kit started in 1999 8.6 10 bolt diffs.

So as far as used I can not help

NEW units I can get you anything you like. A neW eaton clutch type replacement unit for your truck will run 389.00 and shipping I will need a zip BUT should not be over 15.00- 20.00 .

The bottom photo is what you have GOV locker G80 factory locker
the top picture is a Eaton performance unit and will directly replace your your Original factory unit.
Attachments
100_6066.JPG
30 spline gov lock 8.6.jpg
J D Race
jman23
Newbie Poster

Post by jman23 »

Thanks, my zip is 32570. how hard is it to replace them and which one is better.I don't think my ring and pinon is hurt but there is some slop in the pinon can this just mean i need to tighten it up or what?
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

That is the good news. Your NOT setting or resetting up a ring and pinion so... You will open the cover remove the little retaining bolt slide out the pinion shaft (big center pin) push the axles in releasing the c-clips remove them and pull the axles on both sides.

Now remove the 2 main caps with a 5/8" socket. TIP (MAKE SURE TO MARK THEM ONE EACH SIDE SO THEY DO NOT GET MIXED UP ...THEY MUST GO BACK EXACTLY ON EACH SIDE THE SAME WAY.)

Now pry out the posi locker carrier from the housing...you may need a crow bar or pry bar of some kind. TIP ( fi it pulls out easy your carrier bearings are smoked too and you will need them also. My suggestion is to just get new ones with the new carrier and then you know it will be good for a good long while again...besides if you do not have the puller tool to remove them you will probably ruin them doing so.

Now finally remove the ring gear from the broken posi locker carrier... [flash=]TIP TIP ( REMEMBER THESE BOLTS ARE LEFT HAND THREAD...TO REMOVE THEM YOU WILL GO CLOCK WISE AND TO INSTALL THE BOLT YOU WILL GO COUNTER CLOCK WISE...VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!![/flash]

CLEAN UP THE MATING SURFACE OF THE OLD GEAR FROM ANY DEBRIS AND INSTALL OIT ON THE NEW POSI CARRIER. NOW GO IN REVERSE...

TORQUE SPECS YOU WILL NEED
ring gear bolt torque 65 foot lbs. each with locktight
main cap bolts 65-70 foot lbs. NO LOCK TIGHT
retaining bolt (tight with a 1/4 rachet and lock tightened)

I wil lcall you tomorrow. Jim
J D Race
jman23
Newbie Poster

Post by jman23 »

how do u get that center pin out of the carrier? and do u have to take any bolts out of the axles to push them in? And also do i need to take the drive shaft and pinion out of it cause i cant trun the gears cause i have it locked in 4 hi so it don't roll out the drive way?
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Oops sorry did not see this one...

NO you should not have to disconnet the drive shaft...

Center pin- It has a retaining small 5/16" headed hex bolt . remove this and HOPE to God that it comes out in one piece. after that the large pinion pin (cross shaft) can be pushed or pull out...if it is tight tap it with a drift to get it started ...if you tap out the retaining bolt end of the cross shaft you can slide a phillips headed screw driver through the retaining bolt eye hole and pull it out easy.

Axles removal- c-clip axles just push them into the center so the c-clip either falls out or you can take a magnet to remove it from a posi type carrier. then when the c-clip is out of the way you can pull the axle out of the housing.

axle removal of a bolt in axle Floater- they are usually bolted in from the axle flange area OR the hub end. remove the bolts and pull them out some times the axles will need some persuasion ...if you take the drum and bolt it on backwards you can use it as sort of a slide hammer OR at least beat on it a bit with a dead blow hammer try NOT to be too brutal as you will end up causing more damage to the rear and have to pay for that too. LOL :)

Good luck. Jim
J D Race