Narrow a rear end

Questions about all other brand differentials.
Malibu ss 64
Newbie Poster

Narrow a rear end

Post by Malibu ss 64 »

Hi!

I have a spare rear that I´m going to build up with left over parts. It´s a El camino 71 12 bolt with a 2.73 gear from start it was a open rear, the carrier and axles are gone. Have a 2 series posi in parts and aftermarket axles, the axles are 2" shorter than 68-72 axles so I need to narrow the housing. So I´m going to make my own jig all I´ve seen and heard about are made with a bar+bushings, it´s easier for me to get my hands on a pipe then a bar will a pipe work instead of a bar or will it be to stiff? is it more common that a pipe is not as straight as a bar?

Will it be a bad idea to not replace the pinion bearings?

Marcus
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Narrow a rear end

Post by monzaz »

Wow marcus...I do not know about your plans there. You would be surprised on if your off just a little bit on the ends that the bearings in the axles will bind and you will get a resonance noise from the rear bearings.

I can not recommend this way of shortening the housing.

New bearing and old races are also not the greatest Idea...Yes they will work BUT you will have premature bearing failure down the road...months years decade??? Hard to say. BUT why take a chance on 10.00 part for both. Jim
J D Race
Malibu ss 64
Newbie Poster

Post by Malibu ss 64 »

Thanks for the answer!

So I need to find a bar then instead of a pipe I guess and make a jig like this?

Marcus
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yes but you do not need one that long...lol. You can do one side at a time. The bar will cost you less. I would say a 3 -3 1/2 foot long bar at least 1" -1 1/2" diameter. You will be good for sure. Jim
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Try a machine shop. They will have stock laying around and maybe if your a real nice guy they can chuck it up and test for straightness and run it through the lathe and hit it over to true it up. It will cost some dough ....BUT will save you the headache in the end. Jim
J D Race