building my own axle?

Questions about all other brand differentials.
tlivingd
Newbie Poster

building my own axle?

Post by tlivingd »

I'm looking at building a Chevy 12 bolt for a 70 skylark convertible.

I'm looking at new axles along with an Eaton/Yukon type differential. and with new 3.08 gears. however I have little idea how to build an axle. is a press needed?

I know I need to set backlash and set the wear pattern.
I'm assuming the wear pattern is set first because it's based off of the spacing of the pinion.

the backlash seems easy enough to move the differential unit left or right.

is the pinion bearing pressed on and off and if it is, is there a good way to set it for someone not used to doing this? I've heard about grinding out the inside of another bearing to give you a loose fit for setting up shims for the pinion.

any help would be appreciated.
what items would I need to find from another supplier? I've heard about crush sleeves on 4x4's would this axle have that as well?

Thanks,
Nate
monzaz

12 bolt rebuild on your own...

Post by monzaz »

Hi Nate, Tackling a rear rebuild...

Tools needed

-Dial indiactor - to set backlash of the gears (GEAR SLAP)
-Hammer and brass pieces (for removal and install of races in and out of the housing)
-Alot of brake cleaner or kerosene for cleaning out your housing.
-Press is necessary to do the job RIGHT. (will get around that later)

Ok first do you have a housing that is complete and in good condition?
Yes
+ remove the cover
+ mark at least one bearing caps with a punch drift chisel and mark the adjacent housing gasket surface the same way. Know you know how to put the caps backin there place.
+ disassemble the rear
-caps 5/8 socket
-retaining bolt for the cross pin 1/2"
-slide out cross pinion bolt
-push in the axles to remove the c-clips
- pull axles
- Pull carrier out of the housing with a prybar. becareful not to nick the ring and pinion if you are reusing it.
- pinion nut 1 1/8" socket...Power tools work well here. Air 1/2" gun
+ No Gun - use a pipe wrench with a pipe extention on the floor and a 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe extension and remove that nut.
- Pinon gear may drop out most likely NOT. Air hammer with a pointed bit in the centering hole at the end of the threaded end will drive the pinion out. (make sure you catch it or you have it fall into a soft bed of rags if your saving the parts.)
+ no air hammer - Use a pointed drift and a 3-4 pound sledge...Hammer away...Do not forget to catch that pinion in a soft bed of rags or you will chip the gear teeth.
WARNING!!! IF YOUR REUSING THE PINION DO NOT HIT IT ON THE THREADED END WITH JUST A HAMMER AND NO POINTED DRIFT, YOU WILL SMASH THE THREADS AND NEVER BE ABLE TO GET THE NUT ONTO THE THREADS.
++++++ PLEASE USE EYE PROTECTION ++++++

- pinion races can be removed with a steel 6-12 inch rod. you will see recessed area on the back side of the race in the housing land.
- axle bearings can be tough with out a slide hammer race bearing remover. If you have a long steel rod about 6 foot long you can slide it through all the way to the oppisite end and strike the back of the bearing race with that rod around the diameter of the bearing till it pops out. remove and do the other bearing from the other removed axle bearing end.

NOW CLEAN THE REAR END INSIDE AND OUT....

I will get you tomorrow on the assembley. Jim