Posi springs

muzzy
Newbie Poster

Posi springs

Post by muzzy »

HI, I see you make reference to setting up a Posi (Toms differentials) without the springs do you recommend this method, as it would make reassembly a lot easier.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Posi springs

Post by monzaz »

When doing this method it will require a lot more maintenance than with the pre-load spring pack. This set-up in my option is better for road racing etc. Drag racing will require you to monthly re-shim etc.

What do they always say... If it was easy everyone would be doing it. :)

Toms method require a lot of bench seating time to mesh the new clutches so all slack is removed from new clutches - something that can not usually be done in the car.

You really need to get the pre load springs in the rear for best results in a regular back yard build. :)
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Back Yad method to getting preload cage and spring pack back in.

Take your preload springs and cages and compress them in a vise with the small amount of hang over on the larger wider open cage side.
Get coper wire or thin steel banding wire to wrap the cage as it is compress.
Keep sliding and wrapping this cage leaving the very start of the cage to go into the cavity of the spider gears. ...
Once you start the cage in the cavity keep tapping with brass and cutting the strands and you insert the preload cage and spring system.
Keep removing the wire and tapping the cage till it is 2/3 into the cavity. By this time the cage should be plenty safe in the cavity and you can totally remove the wire and continue tapping the cage completely into the spider gear cavity.

Line it up and slide the cross shaft pin though

Now this is back yard stuff so If you are inventive there are plenty of other ways to get it done.

TIP - remember the cage needs to be supported and if all you wrap is the inside middle part you could end up bending or braking the pre-load plates with too much spring pressure pushing the ends up.

GOOD luck and remember it is a HOBBY...Give it a try....
J D Race
muzzy
Newbie Poster

Post by muzzy »

Thanks for all previous replys
Now I have the axle disassembled should I replace the clutch plates in the posi?,if so any recommendations appreciated.
Regards Murray
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Steel clutches usually last a GOOD long time. Sometimes a shuffle and reshim is all they will need. IF they need to be shimmed over .060 you probably need clutches OR you do not have the pinion spider gears thrust washers in place.

Jim
J D Race