1969 Olds rear end.

plumbbob
Newbie Poster

1969 Olds rear end.

Post by plumbbob »

Iv'ed asked some questions. I need direction. I have a A body rear end that has press on bearings and a 28 spline axle bolt on to the rear end housing. It has 2:56 highway gears that are non locking. I'm putting in a big block and would like a locking or posi to fit the housing. I'm on a budget but know fair is fair. Where do I purchase a solution to this puzzle. Thanks for any help you can give.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 1969 Olds rear end.

Post by monzaz »

Ok well we have power trax lockers that be placed into your existing open NON POSI carrier to make it posi... We have a Lock right power trax at 299.00 and we have a NO SLIP power trax at 349.00

We also MIGHT still have a GM Trac Lock Posi which is the whole carrier and you will need to remove your open carrier and also remove the 2.56 ring gear and bolt it to this posi carrier and re install into the rear end housing assemble again. This unit is 425.00 It is Original GM equipment reconditioned and ready to go. Smooth Limited slip G80 Posi

The power trax will click in turn But are stronger than the G80 GM posi unit.
(pictures of the units are below so you can reference what you like and can understand how it is installed. )

That is what we have for now. WE are all waiting on Gears from Motive as they Bought out Richmond gear and have NOT made the 3.42 and 3.90 ratios as of yet... :( Disapponited to say for sure. 2 years now. Nothing reproduced .

WE HAVE posi units JUST WAITING FOR GEARS.

Jim
J D Race
Attachments
olds 12 bolt original GM Reconditioned  3 series 28 spline.jpg
12 bolt 3.42 O 008.jpg
8.2 POWER TRAX.jpg
J D Race
plumbbob
Newbie Poster

Post by plumbbob »

I'm a plumber pipefitter and I know I don't know you but I willing to ask your expert advise. I have this rear end and could you set me up with everything I need and how much the right thing will cost. Thank you for the help.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Are we rebuilding the 2.56 or are you wanting to go to a different gear?
Right now NO Aftermarket gears are available for the 12 O rear.

We can machine up a 2 series if we do not have an original on the shelf also that will bolt right up to the 2.56 gear you have in the rear. Rebuild kit and axle bearing and seal kit we have all in stock.

power trax will install right in place of the spider gears in the carrier you have installed right now. You would not need to remove the ring or carrier from the housing. Just pull the axles and remove the spiders and install the power trax unit in their place.

you just need to tell us which way you want to go. Jim
J D Race
plumbbob
Newbie Poster

Post by plumbbob »

Thank you for your help. I would want a different set of gears. I don't think the 256 is a good choice for my application. What can we do. Just wait. The rear end has a 12 bolt cover with a 10 bolt ring. But you already knew that. So what ever you think I should do I'm with it. Again thanks...
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Problem. Not much you can do at the moment. No Gears are available in the aftermarket have been not available for 2 years. CALL motive gear and tell them to get moving building the 12 O type gears 3.42 and 3.90 ratios. Jim

I only have 2.56 and 2.78 ratios at this time. Good used.
J D Race