1968 442 axle bearings and seals

als68442
Newbie Poster

1968 442 axle bearings and seals

Post by als68442 »

I was hoping you could help me find out where and what to order for the axle bearings and seals for a 1968 442. Also have you installed a precision gear rear differential before? If so how did you like the result? I had purchased this differential new off EBAY better than 5 years ago and am finally getting around to installing it in the car. I intend to use the original ring and pinion which according to the stamp on the axle is a 3.08 open . Its says on the box/web site its the right one for me (GM10/LS "O"3 ) . So I have my fingers crossed there . Since im doing the differential and all those seals I would think it be a good time to do the axle seals and bearings as well . Ive been able to find pinion seals ,bearings and differential seals/bolts in a kit just nothing as far as the axle goes. Any advice or help appreciated.
Thanks
Alex J
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 1968 442 axle bearings and seals

Post by monzaz »

Yep we have both axle bearings and seal that could be used. Our ID differential area of this site will have all the part numbers for you of the complete rear 12 bolt OLDS.

seal bearing system late 67- 68 and early 69
Oiled bearing & seal late 69 and 70

The unit should work with 3.08 3.23 stock 12 bolt olds gears OR 3.42 3.90 Richmond aftermarket gears that are machined to fit the 3 series carrier.

Install we have the same posi units they are Ford 8.8 unit redrill and a machine ring weld to the drum base of the units diameter. We build Eaton and true trac units that exceed the true tracs performance probably for the same price you paid from them.

The posi unit will install just as any other stock unit. You will need conversion carrier bearings...Hopefully they are included in your rebuild kit.

You should check the fit of these bearings before you begin the install to make certain you have all the parts correct.

69.00 gets your the sealed bearings and seals for your 1968 housing. I would still pull an axle to be sure it is not a oiled bearing system so your not out the shipping cost if it turns out NOT to be a 1968.

couple of pictures for you - trac lock has the 'S' spring and our Eaton unit blue springs

Hope this info has helped. Jim
Attachments
EATON 12 bolt olds J D Race posi unit blue 28 spline 003.jpg
IMG_1799.JPG
J D Race
als68442
Newbie Poster

Post by als68442 »

Yeah mine is the S spring trac lok style . I picked it up for $400 5 yrs ago and it did come with the bearings ,races and 2 sets of shims. I see your P/Ns for the bearings and seals is there not a kit # that will contain everything ? Also I have not yet purchased the differential rebuild kit . I see one on your list but it does not contain everything that this kit contains http://www.riversidegear.com/differenti ... -1970.html .
Now theres some bearing and shims I dont need that come with that set since they are already on the carrier I have . Ultimately I am looking for all the seals and bearings to rebuild the whole thing . Jim can you put something like that together for me . Id prefer to purchase it from you since apparently you know which way is up on these (O) types.
Thanks
Alex J
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

ALEX, Yes the kit will be roughly the same excluding the big goop tube...lol.

What we can do that other may not is sell you ONLY what you need. You said you already have the carrier bearings and races SO why pay for those in that kit?? :)

We will remove those carrier bearing and discount the rebuild kit for you SINCE you already have them. Besides that they carrier bearings are special to the unit you have. they are the EATON lm102949 and LM102911 bearing and races . We sell Many different 12 bolt olds kits - 1 for the 28 spline stock carrier - 1 for the 31 spline stock carrier - 1 for the aftermarket carrier with 28 spline axles and 1 for aftermarket carrier with 31 spline axles.....lol. See what I mean.... So it is always best to tell us the items your using and we can match a custom kit up for you that will work the first time with all the right parts. NO extra junk you do not need. :)

Our kit is normally 89.00 minus the bearings you do not need. So roughly you will be in the 69.00 range ish

Axle bearings...NO kit number 69.00 gets you 2 bearings and 2 seals. You have to verify the sealed bearing or the Oiled bearing. You never know if the rear actully is original or not. Jim
J D Race
als68442
Newbie Poster

Post by als68442 »

ok that sounds good so roughly 70 per (kit). Its the original as far as I know . ill take my chances with the sealed bearing . I will only have access to a lift for one weekend so thats why im trying to get all the items I'll need. Ill give you a call tomorrow after work .
Thanks again
Alex J
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

330 990 8155

I will be here. About what time? Jim
J D Race
als68442
Newbie Poster