Chevelle 12 Bolt Identification and Application Question

clm69z28
Newbie Poster

Chevelle 12 Bolt Identification and Application Question

Post by clm69z28 »

Hi Jim:

A seller has advertised this rear end as follows-"This a 71 SS 12 Bolt 3.31 Posi rear axle. Code on right axle tube is CFC 133 2E. Casting date of center section is D 7 1. Build was approximately May 13th 1971 (133rd day, 2nd shift). Gears still look good and it operates smoothly. Posi tag and factory plug are still intact".

Would this be a good candidate for my 72 Chevelle 'vert with an LS1 stock with a 4L60E? And what would you check or be looking for with this particular rear end if I end up checking it out? Thanks.

Chris
Attachments
12bolt331.jpg
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Chevelle 12 Bolt Identification and Application Question

Post by monzaz »

Sure, Anytime you can grab a bigger diff it is good ...For the right price. If it is all original I would rebearing the rear this way it will be good for a long time to come and nothing will callapse of go wrong on you. cost about 100.00 for bearings and seals.

CHeck to be sure the gears are what they are also...the pinion head will have the tooth count for the ring and pinion stamped on it.

Check every tooth for any broken teeth. Another failure spot by alot of people. Spin the rear ...you are buying it so check it out. :) jIm
J D Race
clm69z28
Newbie Poster

Post by clm69z28 »

Does your cost for bearings include the axles too? I am sure that should be done also. And what lubricant would you recommend? I would be glad to buy the bearing kit from you for your excellent support. I am going to look at the diff this weekend- does $800 sound like a good offer?

Chris
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

15.00 for the axle bearing and seals x2 extra. 10.00 shipping anywhere in the USA.

125.00 shipped to you. for a MEGA rebuild kit every bearing seal ring gear bolts shims lock tight nut crush sleeve etc. ALL in one box.

Well as long as everything WORKS YES. It is good price. Jim
J D Race