8.2 Buick posi Oil type

70supreme
Rookie Poster

8.2 Buick posi Oil type

Post by 70supreme »

Can I use limited slip gear oil or do I have to buy the posi additive and regular 80W90 gear oil?
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 8.2 Buick posi Oil type

Post by monzaz »

Do not buy Gear oil with limited slip additive in it...
REASON: You do not know what the % on additive to oil is in that bottle. THEY never tell you that... we have had nothing but failure with the additive in the gear oil.
Buy the oil -
and the additive separate. They only way to insure the % of additive to oil is correct.

6-8 oz of additive to 2 quarts of oil. MOST posi units are steel in the old original and the new limited slip units are tight and need that extra additive also.
If you are using a CONE or Clutch unit please use DINO OIL...NON synthetic oil.... or you will have issues again.
Synthetic cuts friction and that make the posi unit do goofy things as these cone and clutch unit work off of friction. :)

Any weight is fine 80/90 75 / 140 etc all good
Lucas Yukon Auburn FORD MOPAR GM are all good additive names.
WE stray away from STP /Valvoline oils again had issues with them... they are the ones too that add the additive already in the fluid... GARBAGE OIL! In my opinion .... we are going by experience.
Posi trans X is another additive that does not work...AUTOZONE carriers it...STAY AWAY from that tooth paste looking tube.
Jim
JD Race
J D Race