1987 G body 8.5 posi

Edward
Newbie Poster

1987 G body 8.5 posi

Post by Edward »

I was planning on updating my 1987 T Type Buick Turbo for some weekend drag racing and just recently found out that the 1971-72 Custlass and Skylark rear ends were the 8.5 Corporate that utilized bolt in axles vs C Clip. Knowing the hazards of C Clips on drag cars, is it possible to adapt these bolt in axles to the G body housing? I didn’t know if the bearing retainers had same bolt pattern as the later model rear end or a whole different setup. Pipe dream or possible? Thanks for any assistance.
Ed
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 1987 G body 8.5 posi

Post by monzaz »

No Those bearings are JUNK. Totally differe end and totally different axles.
ALL those 8.5 1971- 1977 BIA rears with the A9 and 712146 seal systems LEAK....
You would need to weld a different end onto your housing also. If your going to go through all that weld MoSer 7900 ends or Ford end son the housing ends and buy the bolt in axles.

TIP from JD RACE -
If anyone is worried about c-clip axles and breaking an axle - Just install any econo rear disc brake system and that wil lserve as your c-clip elim as even if the axle beaks the rotoe is held in by the caliper which is bolted to the bracket and that rotor is bolted to the axle shaft flange and will not let the axle shaft slide out under any breakage.

So personally I would go to Right stuff detailing ...order up their G-body disc brake econo AFX kits single piston caliper and bolt it on and go have some worry free fun!

Pictures below...You kit will have the metric tower backing plates ...they have the correct kit. 1982 -1994 S-10s can use the same G-body kit for Metric tower flange housing ends too.

Take care, JD Race
Jim Mitschke
Attachments
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG
J D Race
Edward
Newbie Poster

Re: 1987 G body 8.5 posi

Post by Edward »

Thanks for the assistance!