Buick "B" BOP from 68 Skylark

NoYahoo
Newbie Poster

Buick "B" BOP from 68 Skylark

Post by NoYahoo »

Greetings, I contacted you on ebay a few days ago concerning some spider gears you were advertising and you recommended that I join your blog so here I am.
After I reviewed the web site we discussed, I see that under the 10 bolt, 8.2 BOP, there is a buick 68-70 subfolder. The rear end described there is clearly the one I have from a 1968 Buick Skylark custom convertible 350 4 bbl. I want to rebuild this rear end if at all possible. I have a donor car if necessary. I am hoping you can help me with fresh bearings, seals etc.
I bought the car this rear axle came from without much information and it was pretty much just for parts. I don’t have any history. I have no reason to believe the unit was not the original from the car since the engine and transmission are original. I do believe someone opened the rear end at some point. There was a gasket between the brake backing plate and the axle housing on one side. I believe the gasket should have been between the axle retainer and the backing plate. That according to a picture I found in the service manual. They probably put a new axle bearing on one side and put the gasket in the wrong place upon reassembly.

Here are some of my concerns:
1. There were no shims or spacer washers on spider gears. Just looking at it I think it may not have had any ever. Do you know if spacers are needed?
2. Some movement on the smaller doweled spider gears. I would estimate 1/8”-3/16”
3. Corrosion on the spider gears? Looks like casting that wasn’t ever machined. ( See Pictures), are they useable?

Pinion and ring gears look good. It’s the 2.56 ratio. Since there are 41 ring teeth and 16 pinion teeth

I need:

Axle bearings
Axle seals
Front and rear pinion bearings
Left and Right carrier bearings
Pinion seal
Crush sleeve?
Attachments
small doweled gear.jpg
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Buick "B" BOP from 68 Skylark

Post by monzaz »

Spider is looking a bit rough with pitting from not moving in the housing for some time ....rusting up .... then running again...that is how that condition occurs you see.

What year is this and do you have pictures of your axle bearings? on the axle
if not measure the axle shaft where the bearing presses on it will be 1.381 ish or 1.437 ish
that will help a great deal in being able to know if we can get you those parts and the correct parts.
Everything for the center of the rear is available. complete master rebuild kit is 139.00 for the Buick 8.25 10 bolt rear with the large 1.875 pinion shaft and the large carrier bearing on the driver side and regular 10 bolt bearing on the passenger side.

Shipping will need to figure you can PM me with an address etc. for us to figure that. This way your address will not be public.

J D Race
Jim Mitschke
J D Race
NoYahoo
Newbie Poster

Post by NoYahoo »

OK,
I'll get the measurements and picture and get back shortly. Do you think the gears are usable? one is a little rougher than that one. When you say everything for the center is available does that mean the spider gears?
Also,
1. I noted that there are no shims/spacers between the spider gears and carrier, Are they missing or not required?
2. The smaller gears (like the one in the picture) move on the shaft about 1/8" or more, is that acceptable?

Thanks for your help
NoYahoo
Newbie Poster

Post by NoYahoo »

Greetings,

Attached are the axle pictures and measurements. I believe these to be original from a 1968 skylark custom convertible 350 4 bbl.

Will the inner bearing retainer rings need to be replaced and if so are they available or supplied with the bearings?
Attachments
axle 3.jpg
axle 2.jpg
axle 1.jpg
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Ok from the measurement 1.36 (1.381) it is a regular skylark rear NOT a GS so that is good we have the axle bearings for that no problem.
JD race
J D Race
68lesabre
Newbie Poster

Post by 68lesabre »

monzaz wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:07 pm Spider is looking a bit rough with pitting from not moving in the housing for some time ....rusting up .... then running again...that is how that condition occurs you see.

What year is this and do you have pictures of your axle bearings? on the axle
if not measure the axle shaft where the bearing presses on it will be 1.381 ish or 1.437 ish
that will help a great deal in being able to know if we can get you those parts and the correct parts.
Everything for the center of the rear is available. complete master rebuild kit is 139.00 for the Buick 8.25 10 bolt rear with the large 1.875 pinion shaft and the large carrier bearing on the driver side and regular 10 bolt bearing on the passenger side.

Shipping will need to figure you can PM me with an address etc. for us to figure that. This way your address will not be public.

J D Race
Jim Mitschke
Hello, I'm also wanting to know about this...as far as the "complete master rebuild " and "everything for the center is available " .....

Dies this mean the spider gears are available too??

Thanks
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

do you have the casting number ...does it end in 700 or 724?

Any other pictures of the rear?
Does the carrier have a larger driveside bearing than the passenger carrier bearing diameter?
J D Race
68lesabre
Newbie Poster

Post by 68lesabre »

1382700 casting. Dont have the other info as of now.

It's dark and the rear diff/axle..etc are still on the car complete. Nothing disassembled yet. I do know it's a non posi.
68lesabre
Newbie Poster

Post by 68lesabre »

I've tried to load pictures. It keeps saying file too big.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Most all axle bearing sold today have the retaining ring with the bearing.
the part number will also tell you if it has the retaining ring
IE
RW507C No retaining ring
RW507CR includes retaining ring.

The R stands for retaining ring

Jim
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yep it is a protection thing for the site...You need to change your resolution on the phone or camera.

Use the 640 -400 or slightly a bit more might work too.

If your trying to load 1 2 3 4 Meg pics it will not let you as it is too easy to load viriuos in larger download items. Sorry...The world we live in. Jim
J D Race
68lesabre
Newbie Poster

Post by 68lesabre »

I got your message....

Quick question b4 I send you the picks.
I found a 1968 gs400 complete rear. I understand the gears are probably too much for the lesabre but could a swap my gears into the gs carrier?? The casting numbers are the same on the housing. The gs rear is a posi unit mine is a non posi.

So is it possible to unbolt my ring and pinon and swap it onto the gs ??
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yes the 10 bolt 8.25 68-70 Skylark rear center section GUTS... Meaning the ring and pinion and posi or open carreir can be interchanged into to a 68-70 8.25 Buick LeSabre rear end.

YOU must use the Lesabre axle you can not use Skylark axles...They are too short in length.

Jim
JD
J D Race