10 bolt 8.2 BOP axle housing pins

Crankor
Newbie Poster

10 bolt 8.2 BOP axle housing pins

Post by Crankor »

They don't like me anymore and are making a run for it. All of them on the passenger side have shifted to some degree. Causing a noticeable wiggle when accelerating or turning which prompted me to investigate. I have no experience with this particular job. I understand that they are supposed to be a press fit and are often tacked in place but do they go all the way through? I don't see how, because they are centered on the tube and well...an axle goes through there. One has pulled in, does that mean I must disassemble the rear in order to get it out again? I haven't found any information on the internet or my manual. If you can give me some direction I truly appreciate it. Thanks.

Michael
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 10 bolt 8.2 BOP axle housing pins

Post by monzaz »

MICHAEL, We are totally lost to what part your trying to describe ...can you send pictures

axle housing pin??? Just do not know what that is... read this 3 times...I just can not grasp what pins ? etc.

Maybe start with the year rear, car year, pictures of the area the trouble is or what part you are trying to describe.

we think you might be talking about the pins being BEARINGS and bearings are pressed onto the axle shaft and your axles have too much end play? That is a total guess.

Jim Mitschke

J D
J D Race
Crankor
Newbie Poster

Post by Crankor »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm sorry I was vague, I was very stressed out at the time and thinking in circles. The pertinent data
Car:
Pontiac
Firebird

The the rear is an 8.2 BOP 10-bolt multi leaf '69 I believe.
I will attempt to attach pics. I hope they aren't too small I had to resize them so that they would attach.
Attachments
Passenger side to the right of the diff cover
Passenger side to the right of the diff cover
Pinion/passenger side of diff
Pinion/passenger side of diff
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Ok, I get it now... yes those are holes that are plug welded after the tube is pressed into the cast center. They can leak after time... Not much you can do.
we have had success cleaning out the entire differential cavity and getting sealant inside the casting where the tube meets the tubes and load it up with the sealant...IT MUST be clean and dry or it will just not hold again.

You can also try to grind your plug welds down some and re-weld them and make a better puddle than the factory. You have to remember there was someone that had to weld these and either they were paying attention or they were not. :( Jim

Cleaning all areas from oil with brake cleaner and using RTV sealant can work quiet well if done with care.
J D Race
Crankor
Newbie Poster

Post by Crankor »

Thank you so much for your reply! I hate to take up more of your time but I have to ask you, do these plugs actually hold the axle tube in place? I ask because the rear end of the car felt squirrelly around turns or upon acceleration which prompted me to look at it. Do I then have to just realign the holes, beat the plugs back in and spot weld them into place? I only want to be sure I've a pretty good direction before I dive in. I do most of my repairs and welding myself, I'm just nervous when I don't know something and I couldn't find anything about this anywhere. Again, thank you!

Michael
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

There are NO plugs... they are holes in the casting that lead to the tube...then the welder needs to hit the tube on the first strike to get a good weld on the tube.
I would say THIS IS NOT making your car squirelly shocks spring bushings and frame of the car will make the car feel squirlly and loose in the rear.

Those tubes are press into the casting center section and then welded at the holes you see in the pictures. IT IS not going anywhere as long as the welds are welded to the tube in the holes and even then it will take alot of torque and crazy offroad driving before that tube ius coming out or getting loose enough for it to wiggle the rear. :)

Jim

Shocks are number one cause than the bushings in the springs then the structure of the cars body last.
J D Race
Crankor
Newbie Poster

Post by Crankor »

Hmm, it seems to me then that all of its welds busted. If I'm understanding you correctly I should be able to make sure my axle tube hasn't moved anywhere and weld it. Maybe I'll go around the tube where it comes out of the center section for good measure. I will look elsewhere for some sloppiness then. Thank you so much for your time and the education.

Michael
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

make sure your perches are the same angle to each other if they are not you spun the tube in the center section.

angle finders from harbor freight work well for this.
J D Race
Crankor
Newbie Poster

Post by Crankor »

Got it thanks!