Newbie Poster

10 bolt bop

Post by bowtie89 »

hey there,
I just picked up a new rear end for my 64 el camino today, but have some
unanswered questions.
Im sure it is a 8.5" since it has the lugs in the 5 and 7 O'clock position,
1 1/4 pinion nut and 7/16 left hand ring gear bolts. It also has the odd
shaped cover and bolt in axles which to me confirms BOP.
Axle tube casting: lk b111. with something after I cannot quite make out
The housing has a big A stamped on top and an X on the side
Other castings are: 102 1235197 C(or O)FO 10
Ring gear casting: 1234476 41 7 16 GMC
Pinion: 6-41-6 Gm 234770
Gear ratio 2.56
I would like to know if my interpretation is correct. Also will this bolt
into my 64 a-body or are modifications needed.
I'm also looking to install a posi or locker, will the axle shafts slide
into a gm 8.5 28 spline carrier or are they different?
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 10 bolt bop

Post by monzaz »

Ok well it looks like thatr is what it is... casting number is correct for 1971 1972 A-body.

So yes any 10 bolt 8.5 28 spline posi will work in this rear.
Any 10 bolt 8.5 ratio will fit into the rear.

The rear will physically fit your 1964 chassis.
BUT- you will need to cut the drive shaft to fit
also the whole rear width is 1" wider than the original 1964 narrower rear.

everything else will be fine spring perches should be fine they are slightly different but no real issues. Bolt on compared to raised perch etc...

brakes are all interchangeable

Just remember we have all the parts to rebuild either of the rears you have.
1964 rear is a good rear also... if you are street bound any rebuilt rear will do the job easy.

ONLY at the track will beef make a difference and that sometimes will not matter as STUFF happens when your racing...:) Jim
J D Race
bowtie89
Newbie Poster

Post by bowtie89 »

Thanks for the quick response
I upgraded to bolt in axles and 8.5 from 8.2 because I plan on running this car on the strip with a blue printer bbc solid roller.
Looks to me like the yoke is different also, so besides shortening the drive shaft do I need to change the drive shaft end for a different u-joint. By the way, I converted my 64 to a muncie 4 spd, Is 2.56 a decent gear for a 4 speed or is it too high?
Also this rear end came with disc brakes from an early 2000 camaro donor. If heard the frame might have to be notched or the calipers would have to be moved from front to rear. Any thoughts?
I plan on ordering all the parts needed for a good rebuild from you guys.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Humm sounds like a lot of head ache for a 10 bolt rear....
bolt in axles and camaro brakes...??? I do not know how they did that one ...I guess they used the caliper brackets to hold the axles in? We really need to see all this as it does not make much sense. or did they just toss those in as a package deal NOT installed yet.

How much toque do you think this motor is putting out? How much drag racing are you doing? If you are expecting the best times it will not be with 2.56 gears.
What is this car going to do for you personally? I mean what dod you buy it to do? drag race cruise and look cool long power tour cruises? The gear ratio will reflect what the cars purpose is.
J D Race
bowtie89
Newbie Poster

Post by bowtie89 »

well when I got it it was loosely assembled. The caliper bracket is sandwiched between the axle flange and the retaining plate. A thick fiber washer or plastic shim retains the seal and axle bearing in the axle tube. I attached a few pictures for visual clarification.

I have not had a chance to dyno this engine since Ive gotten stuck with rust repair for the last few weeks but my estimate is about 500+ ft/lbs at the flywheel. The main use is on the street and mostly on the weekends with the occasional 1/4 mile run. The stock 8.2 has an open diff with 3.08 gears which puts me at about 3000 rpm at 65 mph. I have no problem with that at all which is why Im thinking of a 3 series carrier with the same gears for the new rear end
Attachments
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Ok I see the white urethane spacer they made...That is how they are doing the brakes and the hones out the center of the bracket... As long as there is very minimal bearing end play (.001-.010 ) you should be ok. Jim

rpm - 3.08 SHOULD BE DOING BETTER THAN 300 rpm AT 65 MPH. yOU MUST HAVE VERY SMALL DIAMETER TIRES? 24" ?
Oh geez sorry about the caps...Not yelling.

26" tall tires is running about 2500 RPM at 65 MPH...24" tires would still be 2800 RPM at 65 MPH

Jim
J D Race
bowtie89
Newbie Poster

Post by bowtie89 »

The axles felt tight with no noticeable endplay, but ill put a dial indicator on it when I get the chance.
Im running 285/45r18 in the back. could be that my speedo is off tho. Seems like everyone else on the freeway is driving slow :lol:

I might just stick with the drums for now until I can come up with a way to adapt the parking brake or find a donor/part out camaro of that year.

What are your thoughts on Eaton true trac for a mostly street driving car with some drag strip time?