10 bolt Pontiac 1964 Diff

Lowrider
Newbie Poster

10 bolt Pontiac 1964 Diff

Post by Lowrider »

I have a 64 GTO diff with 3.08 gears 37-12, It is in realy good con. and I want to put it in my 68 tempest wagon as I have wide offset wheels and I want the 64 diff to put the wheels back under. I have check it with the diff in the wagon and it look like it will bolt right in. I just want to know if it will bolt in OK.

Michael
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 10 bolt Pontiac 1964 Diff

Post by monzaz »

Michael , Yes it should be fine. The upper and lower mounting points are the same (you do need to keep the control arms with each vehicle as the 68 and 64 do have different LENGTHs.
U-joint is the same
Only other hurdle if you want absolute correctness. is the springs... The 64 uses a bolt in perch and the 68 uses a raise casting the spring just drops in and around it.

Springs - The 64 has bolt on spring and the 68 has a raise perch it slide over and around at the base... The cup that fits the 64 spring is a larger diameter than the 68 lower pig tail that goes around the raise area. SO you might have an issue with that...BUT I am sure you can make something to fit OR you can just weld round 1 1/4" tube stock onto the flat 64 perch and still use your 68 springs...Hope this helps.

Jim Mitschke
J D
J D Race
Lowrider
Newbie Poster

Post by Lowrider »

Yes thanks, As I live in Sydney Austraila I use springs from our Holdens HQ to HX who use diffs like the Pontiac. Our springs are a lot heavy duty because of our roads. I will check with our springs. Welding is not a problem to put tubes on.

Michael
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yes just measure the diameter of the 68 raise perch diameter which i think is 1 .25" and find stock about 2" high and weld it to the center of the 64 flat perch and you should be good. Jim
J D Race