BOP possibilities

monzaz
Average Poster

Re: BOP possibilities

Post by monzaz »

ALL ON you, you want a nice ride with some deflection etc RUBBER. If you want a tight ride feeling the road more than Urethane.

I have all Urethane on the SS 1971 Monte Carlo. If you hit a pretty good chuck hole it will jar the crap out of you and hop the rear too.
J D Race
stevieray
Rookie Poster

Post by stevieray »

Jim,

Finally got back to it. The original pinion washer was 43. I replaced with a 40 thousandths service washer. Attached are the results. Backlash is still around 8 thousandth.
pinion shim 40.jpg
pinion shim 401.jpg
How does it look??? The service washers in my kit will only allow me to go down by 10 thousands (thinnest) if I need to reduce more.

Steve
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Weird it looks too shallow on the coast side and too deep on the drive side. .040 looked better.
Open the backlash up to .010
J D Race
stevieray
Rookie Poster

Post by stevieray »

Am I there yet?
DSCN2994.JPG
DSCN2995.JPG
This is with pinion washer set at 34 thousandths and 7 thousandths backlash.

Thanks,
Steve
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Rubber or urethane

All on you and the ride you want. Rubber will give you factory ride and less feel of bumps.... Urathane wil lcontrol the torque bettr but you will feel the road more in sharp bumps. Jim
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Pattern, I think you have it. How does it feel ...Close your eye and just spin it both ways... does it feel equally smooth? Looks good as a used gear can. Jim

See how the pattern kind of covers the whole tooth. It is light everywhere not a super hard pattern swipe as much at the top or bottom area.

Now run it and just do a short run to start in case anything might not have been assemble correctly...Work your way into confidence. give a few days progressively getting longer and harder. check for leaks and have fun this summer. :)
J D Race
stevieray
Rookie Poster

Post by stevieray »

Thanks for all of your help!
Steve 8)
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Can you see what I am seeing? Just trying to help everyone see the pattern how spread out it is over the whole tooth and feel the smoothness of the spin. You can see from the other pattern how hard it was hitting in just one area. NOW sometimes that can be all you can do with some gear sets that have issues.... yours should be pretty good. Will see and hear. :) Jim
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Rubber will always give you a better ride as to NOT hear or feel the road bumps and noise. Urathane will make the car handle better BUT the loss will be rougher ride will feel the bumps more.

Urethane from what we have had will almost last for ever...lol

1971 Monte SS has had urethane in for 32 years feels the same from 30 years ago.
Attachments
1971 SS MONTE CARLO.jpg
1971 monte carlo SS 454 006.jpg
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Last edited by monzaz on Tue May 05, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J D Race