Take Apart and Re-Use Old Crush Sleeve

Mike H.
Newbie Poster

Take Apart and Re-Use Old Crush Sleeve

Post by Mike H. »

I have a 1972 Cutlass 8.5 corporate posi differential. I want to sandblast my housing and I'm leaning towards taking everything apart to do so. It makes sense to replace the axel bearings and plan on doing so. I'm wonder if I can blow it apart and put it back together without re-setting everything up? If I get the pinion nut back in the same spot will I be OK? Last question, is the GM 7451959 bearing the correct axel bearing for this rear end? Any help and opinions would be appreciated
Thanks, Mike
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Take Apart and Re-Use Old Crush Sleeve

Post by monzaz »

Yes, the axle bearing appears to the correct bearing for the 1971 -1975 8.5 bolt in axle rear end
As far as disassembling the rear ...I would keep the rear intact to blast it. Plug the breather by removing it and shove a electrical posi twist into the hole a red one works great for the 8.5 rears.
Since your going to replace seals in the rear anyway.
reassemble.
You should be able to just reassemble the rear ...I would get a new nut and crush sleeve to do it right.
preload the pinion at about 10 inch pounds if your re-useing old bearings and 15-20 on new bearings. THIS has to be done with carrier out of the cavity for the pinion preload ...

Jim
J D Race
Mike H.
Newbie Poster

Re: Take Apart and Re-Use Old Crush Sleeve

Post by Mike H. »

Thanks Jim!