1971 Buick 10 bolt 8.5

lawrenq
Newbie Poster

1971 Buick 10 bolt 8.5

Post by lawrenq »

I have a Buick 8.5 10 bolt that I'm looking to build up for my Chevelle. I want to narrow it 2 inches so that I can run a wheel with less backspacing. The shop that I talked to recommends that I use a 9 inch end on the axle instead of the stock ends. I know that is an upgrade for most 10/12 bolts with c clips but since mines has bolt in axles with pressed on bearings would it be worth it?

I know that Moser makes axles for these rears but does anyone know what they cost?
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 1971 Buick 10 bolt 8.5

Post by monzaz »

You really should just buy the correct rims for the car it would be less money and easier.

There just is not a lot of room to cut 2" off that housing and still use a stock OR ford 9" ends. You will be into the lower control arm brackets.

I have a Chevy 1971 Monte carlo with 4.5 x 8' backspacing 295 50 15" wheels 12" wide tires. Stock width rear as the car came with...PLUS the Monte has a almost fender skirt rear quarter area. Jim
Attachments
1971 monte carlo SS 454 001.jpg
1971 monte carlo SS 454 005.jpg
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

axles cost the same as RACE axles 370.00 We have all the specs here for those in 28 or 30 spline
So 90.00 in bearings and then narrow the rear labor? Where are you in price. Rims are cheaper.
J D Race
lawrenq
Newbie Poster

Post by lawrenq »

So far it's looking like $149 in labor plus parts, I haven't bought wheels yet but they will be custom built.

I was hoping to narrow the rear 2 inches, I thought I had seen it done but maybe that rear was narrowed less.

I want the rear end narrowed because I like the look of a wheel with less backspacing and because my rear requires custom axles anyway. I know the rear ends on the earlier A-bodies will bolt up and they are 1 inch narrower than the rear I have.

Do you know how much my rear can be narrowed. By the way I'm also on the fence about mini tubbing the car so that I can run a 12 inch wheel.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

What size rims are you going to use?
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

You need to remember you have lower control arms and a shock mount that the rims will hit... Plus you need enough housing end to hold the bearing seal etc. With c-clip rear it is easier. Bolt in axles it is much less forgiving on the room for all the stuff in the tube end. It all runs into the control arm mounts etc.
J D Race
lawrenq
Newbie Poster

Post by lawrenq »

I'm going with a 20x12 wheel. I'll be running coilovers so I don't have to worry about the shock mounts, but it seems like narrowing the rear one inch on each side will be close to the lca brackets. Is the benefit of running a 9 inch housing end for the better bearing worth the cost.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

hOUSING WILL NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE ON SUPPORT... sorry about the caps.. it is the brackets on the housing that will be buts=chard to try to get a ford end on or any bolt in axle end... close fit indeed... Backspacing on your rims better be dead on or your in big trouble.

Get a shop that will do it all so it is one guys headache... best way to avoid trouble... Jim
J D Race