10 Bolt Upgrade

69Yellowbird
Newbie Poster

10 Bolt Upgrade

Post by 69Yellowbird »

I am trying to find the most reliable cost effective way to strengthen up the rear end in my 1969 convertible Firebird. I have a crate 455 torque monster that I am coupling to a TKO 5 Speed. I will have upgraded everything in the driveline except the rear end which is stock open differential BOP 8.2 with a 2.56:1 ratio. I have a auburn gear posi and 3.36 ring and pinion (used) to install, but where is the end for the upgrades? Who makes 28 spline axles that are worth the money? I have read many mixed reviews on them. Should i just bite the bullet and go to a rebuilt 12 bolt or a moser 12 bolt. I am looking for reliable and flexible, mostly street driving but if I wanna takeout to the strip I can with no worries.

I appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks

Steve
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 10 Bolt Upgrade

Post by monzaz »

Steve, Sorry to say but going to the track with a torque monster 455 engine and a stick shift vehicle ....there is NO WAY you can not worry. Sh-t happens at the track. If you want to keep this drive line alive it is entirely on you the driver.

You have to be reasonable on the launches etc.

Ok well Moser makes the 10 bolt 8.2 Alloy race axles for your 10 bolt 8.2
I have done these for many nostalgic GTO race guys that have to have stock rears in the car to race and they hold fine. Spider gears in the posi...ANY POSI are the weak link and the reason we all use FULL SPOOLs for racing at the track.

12 bolt will hold better BT will also set you back some green backs for sure 2050.00 and up the beefier you make it.

Pontiac rear has bolt in axles already which is a PLUS... 12 bolt chevy is c-clip and that is why we always use alloy axles the bolt in axle moser rear will raise the price of the rear 450.00 ish

Back to you... IT really all depends on you and how you treat the car and driving punishment you dish out...Street really should never be an issue no matter how much torque and power you have...Street can not hold torque tires spin and all the pressure is off the drive line ...NIOW you better have good clean oil to deal with the RPMs in the motor trans and rear end parts spinning so fast. HEAT...
J D Race
69Yellowbird
Newbie Poster

Post by 69Yellowbird »

Jim,

Thanks for the information, it confirms what I have been discussing with a nearby shop. For street use no issues, if you goto the strip don't be stupid, anything can happen and no matter what you put under, it you can destroy it. They suggested new bearings, axles and definitely keep the BOP housing because of the bolt in axles.

Thanks again

Steve
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Total agreement. NO rear is really a bad rear... Just keep up the maintenance and after 10years of beating on it re-bearing again... Street use... with some track blasts on street tires.
J D Race