Zexel Torsen vs True track

hoffbug
Newbie Poster

Zexel Torsen vs True track

Post by hoffbug »

I just found out that the 7.5" rear end I was going to use on my project is not a posi.. It is out of a Cosworth so Im pretty sure the gears are 3.73..

Im going to need a posi and was wondering what the differences between a used Zexel Torsen out of a Firebird and a new True track would be?
hoffbug
Newbie Poster

Re: Zexel Torsen vs True track

Post by hoffbug »

Just heard a new one.. The 1975 7.5" housing have a different attachment point for the torque arm than the 76-77 Vega? Is this true?
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

True trac vs Zexen
They essentailly are the same working unit - the true trac has an extra worm gear track ...so instead of 2 the true trac has 3 worm wholes...More contact on the side gear usually means more power capability to be delivered to the wheels.
Remeber you have 26 spline and GM zexen is only 28 spline form. After market true trac has 28 and 26 spline axle units.

75 -vs- 76 77
Yes the 1975 track arm is different. Other than that they are the same.
1975 uses a bent track arm and the axle mount is slightly different angle
76 77 are straight bar.
All the rest of the lower and torque arm mounts should be the same... Unless someone has more or better info on this. :) Jim

J D Race
J D Race
hoffbug
Newbie Poster

Post by hoffbug »

Thanks Jim.. Can you outline for me what Ill need for rear drum brakes.. I will be doing a 5 lug conversion 5 on 4.75 pattern..

will the whole package off an early 2wd S-10 work? or is there something better that will fit within a 15" wheel.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

No Should all work from S-10... Jim
J D Race