10 bolt work

Butcher455
Newbie Poster

10 bolt work

Post by Butcher455 »

Hi Jim,
Do you weld axle tubes and do machine work for new bearing caps at your shop? If so, what would a ballpark figure be for the work. I live in NE Ohio so I can bring the 10 bolt in.
Thanks for any help.
Butch
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 10 bolt work

Post by monzaz »

Butch yes we weld tubes BUT do not re-press in tubes to housings.
Bearing caps Do not normally need to put caps on a 10 bolt - we just get another housing

I have seen people put used caps onto 12 bolt and 10 bolts for circle track demo derby and the such (they never had an issue) If you are all out drag racing it MIGHT be an issue.

What is it your are doing with the bearing cap(s) Jim
J D Race
Butcher455
Newbie Poster

Post by Butcher455 »

Jim, that was a quick reply. I have a 70 bird with a 455 that goes 11 flat at 122. It had a stock 8.5 10 bolt and I figured I was living on borrowed time. I bought Moser axles and an Eaton posi for it. I wanted to put in a Toms differential bearing cap which I have not bought yet, and weld the tubes to make it stronger. As with most people money is tight so I wanted to see if I could afford it while the rear end is out and disassembled. Any other ideas would be welcome.
Butch
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Forget the cap gimmick. More trouble than worth especially if you get the clamp pressure wrong on the bearing.
Your on a good path. What size axles did you BUY? We do the 30 spline set up. Hope you did not do the 28 as the 30 will be the same price. Same with the posi 30 spline is the same as 28 that is why it is a NO brainer to do this stuff to a 8.5.
T/A Aluminum Diff cover will help the cap bolts stay stable and cool the fluid and give you fill and drain access to change the fluid more often too.
We use the 10 bolt 8.5 30 spline setup too 10.50 car.
J D Race
Butcher455
Newbie Poster

Post by Butcher455 »

Hi Jim,
The weld job on my 10 bolt was great. I dont have time to assemble my 10 bolt. If your not too busy, can you send your phone number to my email (gerlith@roadrunner.com) to see if you have time to assemble it and when I can drop the parts off at your house.
Thanks for any help,
Butch
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yes will take care of you. Jim

Will send the number which is also on this home page site upper right hand corner. Jim
J D Race