1968-70 8.2 BOP (BuickOnly) interchange

cue1go
Newbie Poster

1968-70 8.2 BOP (BuickOnly) interchange

Post by cue1go »

Jim,
I left a message for you to contact me but I'll try to explain my question here also. I have an 8.2 buick only rear end with a 3.64 r&p and posi carrier I bought from you. The bushing ears on the diff housing cracked. You and I discussed this issue a couple of months back and having them welded was your suggestion. I'd just sleep a lot better at night if I just swap everything into another rear end housing. Have the chunk and r&p set up again. Slap my axles and brakes and all on it. Pain in the butt I know! Here are my questions:
1. Are there any 8.2 BOP or Chevy rear end housings which will accept a transplant of all 1968-70 carriers, bearings, races, axles and seals?
2. If so, are there any that are better candidates than others?
3. There seems to be differences within the 68-70 Buick rear ends. Like 68 has different carrier bearings or something. Is this something I need to be concerned with?
4. Do you have something available for sale that would work?
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 1968-70 8.2 BOP (BuickOnly) interchange

Post by monzaz »

How did the ears crack? Can not quite remember on that discussion. Usually people pounding the out out and the new in does it. :(

Any way. The 1968-1970 BUICK SKYLARK are the ONLY housings you can fit these guts into.

NOW do you have sealed axl bearings or OILED axle bearings?

Sealed bearing axle system was the 1968-69 ONLY and the 1970 was the only year for the oiled bearing axle ends.

Jim
J D Race
cue1go
Newbie Poster

Post by cue1go »

Yes! That is when it happened. The whole thing started when I bought Dick Millers version of adjustable upper arms with no hop bars which used the bushing ear as it's connection point. The original bushings had to be taken out. To make them fit the Buick rear end we had to grind a bit off the top of the bushing ears. You see Dick is an Olds man and this kit was designed for that kind of 10 bolt. I removed and sold the kit because at the time I was experiencing a helluva vibration which turned out to be the rear end had been set up incorrectly. Anyway I did away with the no hops too and got some simple UMI adj uppers and they of course required standard type bushings so back in they went. Well, the rest is history and sometimes the lessons we learn have real painful consequences attached to them. Note to self; Next time go rent the proper tool for the bushings.
The bearing are the oiled type. 70 only? Naturally!!!!! So to be safe a 70 rear end shell is the way to go. Would the 70 guts and oiled bearing axles fit inside a 68-69 bare housing? Just checking to see if I can broaden the search for candidates closer to home.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

The axles are NOT interchangeable 1970 oiled bearing needs to stay with the late 69-72 oiled bearing era. Sealed bearing NON OILED from the center section oil needs to stay with the early 6768 housings. Sorry. Guts are interchangeable from 1968-1970 BUICK skylark and leSabre 68 69 70 also
J D Race
pinwhhelx
Newbie Poster

Post by pinwhhelx »

Do not know if you fixed problem, but it looks like I have a buick only rear end. Which I did not know about so trying to figure out what to do with it?
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

We need to find a housing. How clean is the car? I might have one here... You said you have oiled bearings 1970... correct?
I will check this housing. Problem here is that you REALLY can not just take the parts from one housing and just bolt them into another. They really need a total reset to be sure it will work properly IF things were that easy I guess I would not have a job as a rear end differential builder. And the reason most do not want to even touch the stuff... lol.

Ok even if you have the oiled bearing lets just find a housing. I have this one. If you need the sealed axles I will just swap them with you as long as you pay the shipping to us.

Will ship you the housing and correct axles for this housing. Then you can have the 3.64 gears and such set back up in this housng. I will even remove the upper control arm bushings for you if you like. :) Jim
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

If you send us the upper control arm bushing i will install them also. Jim
J D Race