Axle id without pulling them

billytbass26
Rookie Poster

Axle id without pulling them

Post by billytbass26 »

Hey Jim, was wondering is there a way to tell 26 spline from 28 spline without pulling the axles out and counting the splines. I do have the 5 lug but forgot to check when I replaced the outer seals. I have pitting where the outer seal rides on the drivers side axle. I wanted to buy the set you have on ebay but not sure of the spline count. I have a pic of the carrier if that even helps. Thanks, Bill
Attachments
image.jpg
billytbass26
Rookie Poster

Re: Axle id without pulling them

Post by billytbass26 »

Another pic
Attachments
image.jpg
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Very hard to tell. With that posi you could have 26 or 28 IF it was a open diff carrier it would be easier to tell. If it is open your already there so just pull the retaining bolt slide the cross shafts and pull the axle. Jim'

Only way to be certain.
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

What year is your truck/ car? Jim
J D Race
billytbass26
Rookie Poster

Post by billytbass26 »

I took those pics a few months ago when I did the seals. lol. Anyway its a 79 sunbird formula coupe. I will just have to pull them when I feel up to it again. The seal doesnt seem to be leaking but I suspect it will over time with the pitting. I tried to polish it out a little but didnt want to go too far with it. Thanks, Bill
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yah, I just do not want to guess and then some one has to eat the shipping for the return. :( Not Good on that.

The posi looks like it could be late 7.5 (7 5/8 monte carlo type which was 26 spline....BUT all the 28 spline 7 5/8 look like that unit too.

THIS is why I do not want to guess.

If it were the early bolt together posi units Auburn I would know it was a 26 spline. BUT this is not.

Jim
JD
J D Race