71Buick 8.5 carrier/gear options

DasRottweiler
Newbie Poster

71Buick 8.5 carrier/gear options

Post by DasRottweiler »

Hello, I've migrated over from V8Buick.com after following several of your posts/threads over there. I will be buying an 8.5 that currently resides under a board members 71 Skylark(v8buick). Quite sure it is original rear as car is a clean, well maintained survivor. My car, a 70 Skylark came with a Canadian built 12 bolt cover with a 2:56 peg leg c-clip rear. The 8.5 I plan on buying has a 2:56 geared posi-carrier. Would like to jump to mid threes; perhaps 3:42s . Would I have to switch to a different carrier in this rear to make the switch to the gear ratio I desire?(8.5) Could you provide me with prices for the items I would need to switch gear ratios-different series carrier if needed-used set of gears? This car will be 455 powered but will see little track time. Will be my icecream getter mostly. Ty in advance for any help, Jim Cameron/DasRottweiler
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 71Buick 8.5 carrier/gear options

Post by monzaz »

Jim- Good to have you. :)

Let start with the facts.
-If you install the 8.5 rear in your car, you will need to shorten the drive shaft.
-2.56 posi is a 2 series carrier unit the 3.42 will need a 3 series posi or open non posi unit
-You can use a spacer with the 3.42 gears and it will bolt up to the 2 series posi.

We sell parts for the 12 bolt Chevy rear also with the same ratio

I will PM you with the prices.
J D Race