69 GTO rear end

orelog
Newbie Poster

69 GTO rear end

Post by orelog »

I just want to be sure that the rear end I have is a true 1969 GTO piece. I have taken it apart and have measured flange to flange and it is 55 3/8". The case has a big N on the front. The spring perches have a raised area surrounding the hole. The axle tube is stamped with the numbers 079 HX on the drivers side rear. It has a 4 pinion posi unit and the ring gear is stamped 39-11 GM 69LV. The carrier housing has these numbers cast on the lower rear drivers side: CFD 1. On the passenger side lower rear the only numbers I can make out are: 9799 02. I wondered about the true identity of this rear end because I just removed it from a 1965 GTO, and it didn't seem too wide. Any thoughts?
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 69 GTO rear end

Post by monzaz »

Well it sure is not a 65 GTO / Pontiac rear. TOO wide. 54 1/4 flange to flange and the spring perches are suppose to be flat with cup and bolt system holding the spring in place.
The casting number on the 1965 will be on the bottom of the casting NOT to the right lower part of the rear cover casting.

SO what you have is 1969 rear in a 1965 car...BUT it is a pretty GOOD rear as it is a 'N' Housing Nodular casting center. The posi is Pontiacs heavy duty Limited slip unit for high powered option cars.

SO all in All You have a GEm in the rear and the car...:)

So your stock 65 should be 55 1/4" flange to flange and they did not have Nodular housings back then either. Back in 65 Pontiac really did not have there OWN Housing either so the casting will look slightly different then the one you have. The 69 67 66 all have a diagonal upper webbing from the upper control are bosses converging to the pinion snout area. The 1965 GTO rear will have the casting # on the bottom and there will be only one vertical cast webbing on the passenger side of the pinion snout area and the 2 lower webs as the later Pontiac housing have also.

Hope this info helps you find what you need. Jim

J D RAce
J D Race
orelog
Newbie Poster

Post by orelog »

Yes it did. Thanks much.
orelog
Newbie Poster

Post by orelog »

Jim, Now that you have confirmed that my diff is a true 1969 GTO heavy duty piece, I need a cover for it. It seems to be unique and the cover on it now has to have the holes reamed out on the top and bottom to get it to fit. Do you sell a cover?
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Please post a picture of that rear cover you are refering to. Thanks, Jim

I need the BAD cover. I want to see what they were trying to fit?
ALL 1964-1972 GTO covers are the same
All 1964-1970 Buck 8.2 covers are the same also.
All 1964-1967 Olds 8.2 covers are the same also.
They are all interchangeable.

You might have a 1971 1972 10 bolt 8.5 cover that some one tried to fit that LOOKS the same but the holes are slightly OFF. :) Jim

I have NEW Chrome covers... BOP 8.2 if you need. Jim
J D Race