8.2 bop posi interchange

forrest
Newbie Poster

8.2 bop posi interchange

Post by forrest »

Hey Guys, great forums.. should be a great help n the future for the shop! I have a question..I have a 8.2 bop 3.23 non posi rear..I also have another 8.2 bop with 2.73 gears and this one IS a posi (both 1970 factory originals) wondering if there is a way to use the posi unit out of the 2.73 for the 3.23 rear.. I thought I read somewhere a spacer could be used? Is this possible? and Thanx. I've rebuilt many rears and have most of the correct Kent Moore tools/gauges ect. for most rear work..Thanx for any info
Last edited by forrest on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
forrest
Newbie Poster

Re: 8.2 bop posi interchange

Post by forrest »

O/k, just saw the topic "spacers" .from what I understand if I get a 8.5 spacer and the 3/8 bolts, I can do this. Just trying to understand... and if I can do it like this, do you carry what i need? Thanx again
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yea we have the 8.5 spacer also... We need to know the ring gear bolt size so we can get you the correct bolts to go with the spacer. Some are left hand thread 7/16" some are right hand thread 3/8"

Way to tell
WHAT size is the ring gear bolt?
3/4" headed bolt - 7/16" left hand thread (might even have a L on the head to designate that)
11/16" headed bolt - you will have a 3/8" right hand threaded bolt.

9/16" headed bolt you have a chevy rear...LOL :) Jim
J D Race
forrest
Newbie Poster

Post by forrest »

Thanx Jim, checked and the bolts are the 7/16 left thread (with the "L"!)...so what will a 8.5 spacer with the appropriate bolts cost.. couldn't find a # to call you, would also like to know if there is any other pertinent info I need to do this swap... Thanx! Forrest
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Just so we are on the same page- Do have the ability to send pictures of the rear you are referencing?

I say this because there is a Buick rear that will throw a BIG BENNY into the works so this might be a good time for that. Jim

330 659 7117
J D Race
forrest
Newbie Poster

Post by forrest »

Here's some picts.. both of these are definitely the original pontiac rears...thanx may add another pict if needed
Attachments
8.2 rear 006.JPG
8.2 rear 004.JPG
8.2 rear 005.JPG
forrest
Newbie Poster

Post by forrest »

another... of course both have the same mounting perches..they are both 1970 pontiac rears..Thanx!
Attachments
8.2 rear 007.JPG
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

You are correct. Bearing caps are a dead give away along with converging diagonal upper webbing they are the same rear. You are go to go for a swap. Jim
J D Race