ID of diff

drewt
Newbie Poster

ID of diff

Post by drewt »

I can't seem to match up the diff in my 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme. I've attached a few photos. I'd really appreciate any help indentifying it. Thanks
Attachments
020.JPG
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: ID of diff

Post by monzaz »

8.5 10 bolt BUICK rear...BUT some were found under 1971 1972 cutlass' also I think I might have answered this in a PM on one of the sites and I am pretty sure I IDed it as a 8.2 at first cause that is what a 1970 it suppose to have OR a 12 bolt 'O' type.

THIS IS DEFINITELY A 8.5 1971 1972 REAR, BOLT IN AXLES 28 SPLINE AXLES, THE BUICKS HAVE THE 3 AND 9 O'CLOCK CUT OUT ON THE REAR COVER . THE OLDS 8.5 WILL HAVE THE ROUND COVER WITH 1/2 THE OIL TROUGH AT THE 12 TO 3 OCLOCK POSITION (BEND OF CREASE IN THE REAR COVER) REFERENCE PICTURES BELOW.
Attachments
10 bolt 8.5 olds 71 72.JPG
71 72 buick 8.5.JPG
J D Race
drewt
Newbie Poster

Post by drewt »

Thanks much for your help. My cover is the same as the one labeled "71-72 Buick" at the bottom of your message. Apparently someone swapped it at some time? One other quesiton- in other forums you describe pinion seal replacement, you stressed that its important to "stake" the pinion nut. I'm not sure what that means. Can you describe, and would doing so create problems removing the nut later?
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Staking the nut just always assures to the best that we can that the nuts does not back off under high performance application moves such as burn outs ...WHICH you know WE ALL DO!!! lol
As far as removal...NO it should NOT cause any trouble upon removal...besides your not suppose to be taking that nuts on and off...lol. only in another 20-30 years...lol. :) Jim
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

I will try to post a picture or 2 of the final look of a staked nut.
J D Race
drewt
Newbie Poster

Post by drewt »

Thanks for your help Jim. You're right, I probably shouldn't be undoing the nuts. We'll see what happens
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Your good. Remeber you can not learn with out doing. :) Jim
J D Race