diff oil and additive

gto69
Newbie Poster

diff oil and additive

Post by gto69 »

I think it's time for me to change the diff oil in my pontiac 10 bolt and a long time ago someone told me that if that not necessary to add the special additive (which i don't recall the name) with the oil in the differential. In fact he mentionned that without the additive it would keep the posi more stiff and react promplty.

Back then i used anyway the additive but is it really necessary. If so, does any part store has this additive or only GM
Thanks!
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: diff oil and additive

Post by monzaz »

Yes the posi does need this additive to work correctly. Chatter shock is not super great for the posi unit... It is a inconsistent slip and grip of the cones and or clutches which will in turn send shock through the spider gears and over time will pound the gear face surfaces shortening the life.
Yes the Auto parts store and or GM dealer ship (if you can still find one...LOL. ) Will have this limited slip differential additive. It will keep the heat down clutches will slide smooth in the turns.

Good luck on the refill and thanks for the maintenance...lol. Most people never change that rear diff fluid. :)
J D Race
kenbarls
Newbie Poster

Re: diff oil and additive

Post by kenbarls »

I agree with monzaz. I am grateful that he is here to help us on our problem.