95 RMW 8.5 help

nomrlz
Newbie Poster

95 RMW 8.5 help

Post by nomrlz »

the stock posi in my 95 Roadmaster Wagon has shot craps. if i flash the convertor at all it just blows thru and one legs. if i get an eaton, will i hafta get a new gear set. the gears are only a couple years old in there now. tryin to stay on a budget if that is possible :roll: . had one guy say that since the gears are set perfect. i could just keep the pinion as is and mount ring on new carrier and should just go back in as was. wouldn't this only work if i stay with an auburn like the stocker. already makin decent power but puttin a fairly stout engine in this summer and need this to hold.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 95 RMW 8.5 help

Post by monzaz »

Well It is pretty much that simple.

You can put Any 8.5 30 spline unit in the rear and just bolt the ring gear you have to the new carrier.

The after market carriers wil lrequire a different size carrier bearing so you will need those also. LM 102949 x2 and LM 102911 x2

As far as it just going back in with the same exact carrier shims ...NOT likely. It will be off from carrier to carrier and brand to brand...NOT alot but enough to have to adjust by .005 to .010 at least. YOU may get lucky too though..?? Never know.

Factory Auburn. Yes they are not the greatest for all out torque but will do fine fro a street machine. You could have just gotten a unit that was already close to used up. Racing does not really wear a posi out. IT is TURNS on the street and grandma driving.

It your car went straight forever the posi would NEVER wear...LOL :D Really...

We sell Yukon Dura Grips and eaton units and can even press the bearings you need on the housing with correct races to match. Just ask. We also carrier the newest true trac 30 spline units you might want to give that a shot too. ?? Jim
J D Race
nomrlz
Newbie Poster

Post by nomrlz »

do you rebuild the stock auburns? if so, you have any in stock? if not, how much for a trutac?

the car already pulls 1.71 sixty foots runnin 12's. mid summer should have it in the 11's. realistic goal of 450hp N/A and 550+ on spray.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

I would suggest you get something new if you are doing those 60 foot times.

30 spline true trac is 429.00

recon factory is 219.00 - (really do not suggest this as I think you will be in the same boat real soon again.)

Jim
J D Race
nomrlz
Newbie Poster

Post by nomrlz »

so the truetrac is the one to get? what are the pro/con differences between a eaton/trutrac/duragrip? 365 daily driver, couple time a month strip duty car.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

All are very everyday streetable. ALl will do the track duty also. ALL aftermarket posi unit will out perform stockers easy . They are all stronger than the stock units.

True trac will be more of a road racing unit and does not have the need for Posi addtive becuase there are NO clutches or cones. It is a gear to gear unit and synthetic can be used.

Dura grip and eaton are pretty much Identical except for the price. They use clutches and is more your traditional posi unit and will get harry when it rains and burn outs. BUT that is why we like them. :) Jim
J D Race
nomrlz
Newbie Poster

Post by nomrlz »

How much for a complete trutrac set-up. Also how much for a complete eaton. If you think I should replace my gears then price it that way. They are a couple years old
nomrlz
Newbie Poster

Post by nomrlz »

bought a complete eaton set-up. thanks for the advice