Need HELP on 10 bolt I.D.

Flye
Newbie Poster

Need HELP on 10 bolt I.D.

Post by Flye »

I've been sent here from ClassicOldsmobiles.com. This is currently in 67 442. It is a posi/limited slip, which is what it was supposed to have had. It has a leaking pinion, and I was trying to I.D. so I could get correct seal and try to replace it myself. Based on the rust appearance not matching the rest of the car, the cover isn't like other Olds that I've seen in pics and that it seems to have red paint on at least a portion of it at some point, I'd assume it has been a swap out.

Some have said Olds put Chev. rear ends near end of runs, and this was a fairly late date 67, but others have said "NO WAY" on that one. I have tried to match the cover with your I.D. pages, but can't find anything with the 'half eye brow'.

I noticed on some recent posts, people have supplied pics of the top of the casting, which I can try to get if I need to. Thanks for any help.

D

monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Need HELP on 10 bolt I.D.

Post by monzaz »

I ID ed that on the classic olds site for you... 10 bolt 8.5 1971 1972 . Absolutely. Yes it has been swapped out BUT it is a keeper and VERY rebuildable and VERY strong. Keep it and build it up. The strongest 10 bolt out there. same pinion size as a 12 bolt chevy. This rear replaced all car 12 bolt and 10 bolt rears in the 1970's cars and was even used in the 1/2 ton Chevy and GMC trucks starting in 1974 and is still used to 2008 Chevy and GMC trucks and suv

Seal is a 2043 pinion.
J D Race