28 spline axle strength

brian79
Newbie Poster

28 spline axle strength

Post by brian79 »

I have a 8.5 out of a 86 Hurst Olds 442. It has stock 28 spline axles. I run it in a 79 malibu drag car, weighs 3100 w/me. The car runs lo-mid 12's motor,pre-loading @2500 and flashing the stall to 3500. Will the stock rear handle this. I may install a cover w/axle brace. Will that help the rear or is that just a waste of time/money. Haven't run with nitrous yet but if the rear can handle a 100 shot then I will. I also have a set of c-clip eliminators that I am going to put on.

Advice?
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 28 spline axle strength

Post by monzaz »

Well, This is always a tough and controversial area of the rear diff build as to how much parts will take in the torque and horsepower range. The best advise is to upgrade to what you can afford to do. I would say if your gonna hit nitrous you will need to upgrade for sure.

Once any car /truck starts to break the 11sec barrier we all need to start to evaluate the parts we are using and stock parts from the factory start to become less reliable as they were NOT designed to handle the shock coming from the performance upgrades.

IF you are going to upgrade I would try to go the next step to a 30 spline axles and posi unit ...this will assure that you will have the strength you need for the power you will hit with the nitrous.

We can always quote you out prices and then you can check around pricing from there. Jim
J D Race