Identification help on 8.2 posi

69goat
Newbie Poster

Identification help on 8.2 posi

Post by 69goat »

Hello all,
New to forum and rears. I am in need of some help trying to properly identify (what I believe) is an 8.2 BOP which has 3.23 gears. Axle spline is 28 and pinion spline is 27. I have a 1968? (WF code) "P" rear in which I pulled the 3.23 open carrier out and wanted to install the posi but the bearings are too big. Unit was purchased thru ebay and was told it will work but apparently it does not. Does anyone have some insight/suggestions on how to properly identfy this unit. Thanks in advance for any help that is provided. Just one more thing, it has the 7/16 LH ring bolt.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Identification help on 8.2 posi

Post by monzaz »

OK well I have a good idea as to what this is.

Just want to get a few things straight first. So you bought just the posi unit and you want to install the posi in your housing with your pontiac gears yes?

Here is what you need to look for on the posi. Does the ring gear side carrier bearing seem to be bigger than the right non-ring gear carrier bearing side... In other words are the bearing the same on both side or not?

If you have a large bearing on the left, driver side, ring gear side, and you said you have 7/16 bolt holes for the ring gear all this points to a 1968-1970 Buick positraction carrier which will hold 3.08 3.23 3.42 BUICK gears or will also hold 1970-1972 grand prix GTO 1968 1969 firebird 2.93 -3.23 ratios WITH THE 7/16 RING GEAR BOLT HOLED RING GEAR.

IF this does not make sense...we may have to discuss this on the phone to help totally understand everything.

The Buick, Olds and Pontiac Limited slip Posi unit ALL appear to look the same- Only small details like carrier bearing size (which 68-70 Buicks have) and ring gear bolt size which (68-70 buick and 68-72 Pontiac may or may not have )

SO depending on how much you spent for the unit, and the condition of the inner parts of the unit... you may or may not have been taken. Obviously to a Buick guy it is very valuable. We also should check to see if they actually sold you the correct ratio series needed too. Check the picture below, this is the differences between the carrier series breaks.

Left is a 2.56 -2.78 carrier
center is the 2.93-3.23 carrier
Right is the 3.36 -4.33 carrier

Jim
Attachments
carrier breaks pontiac buick site.jpg
J D Race
69goat
Newbie Poster

Post by 69goat »

Jim,

Thanks for the timely response....I am away from home at this time so I will double check your suggestions. I bought the unit for under a buck fifty (not too bad) and it does have the 3.23 ring and pinion. I do believe it has the same bearings on both sides and not just the drivers side (ring gear side). Would I be able to pull these bearings and reinstall the proper ones for my unit?

Anyway, Thanks again Jim and I will get back to you probably by tomorrow.
69goat
Newbie Poster

Post by 69goat »

OK Jim,

It is the larger bearing on the one side, oh well.....I guess I'll have to search a unit out due to the fact that the Auburn 542099 has the 7/16 and I need the 3/8 ring bolt. Thanks for the help though.

Is anyone in need of this Buick posi unit? Do not know the condition/shape of the unit.
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Well I do take trade ins as long as it is reasonable Especially if I have to recondition the unit.

Do you have pictures of the unit? and try to take center hub measurements where the bearing presses on. If it is Buick 68 -70 unit the driver side bearing hub will measure larger than the passenger side...(non ring gear side) Jim

I carrier the whole line of Pontiac units here if you need pricing look at the store or just PM me. Jim
J D Race