Help reading this gear setting

A1JUDGE
Newbie Poster

Help reading this gear setting

Post by A1JUDGE »

Jim,

BOP 10 bolt with 3.36 and new Eaton Posi.
I am starting to put my rear together. I started with .030" on the Pinion shims and tightened the pinion so it has ~ 24 In/lb preload.

I have the carrier installed and a backlash that is varying from .005 to .008 around different reading points. So I gooped up the ring gear in two places, 180 degrees apart and rotated it back and forth.

I am going to try and attach 4 photos, 2 of each point on the ring gear, drive and coast sides. Can you confirm what I think I need to do here. Initially I think I need to remove a few thousandths from the pinion shims.

Any insight will be appreciated.
Attachments
pos2_coast.jpg
pos1_Drive.jpg
pos1_coast.jpg
A1JUDGE
Newbie Poster

Re: Help reading this gear setting

Post by A1JUDGE »

Here is position 1 drive photo - not sure why it didn't appear.
Attachments
pos1_Drive.jpg
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Looks not to far off already. Coast side looks pretty good the drive side seems to be a bit deep ACCORDING to the pattern. take about .002-.003 out of the pinion and see where it goes. Jim

The inconsistent .005 - .008 back lash worries me.

Hope the ring gear and carrier flange surfaces were clean and de-burred before assembling

If you only move the pinion .001 it maybe such a small change to may not notice the difference in which way you should go. Jim
J D Race
A1JUDGE
Newbie Poster

Post by A1JUDGE »

Thanks Jim,

I am going to try and get back to it tomorrow after work.

I ran a razor blade across the carrier and ring gear surfaces to check for any burs, etc. Clean as a whistle. I'll double check the carrier bearing surfaces and caps while I have it apart to change the pinion shims. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Don
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Ok were here. Yah we always use a good washing of lacquer, then hit it with a flat stone... if we find a burr or imperfection we hit it with a fine long file .

We are here when you get the new set-up. Jim
J D Race