Tapered Roller Bearings

milkcrateracing
Newbie Poster

Tapered Roller Bearings

Post by milkcrateracing »

I have installed Timken tapered roller bearings in place of the standard roller bearings in a 71 Buick Skylark 8.5 rear. How much end play is acceptable and what do I do if it is out of tolerance?

thx
Don Hayden <milkcrateracing@yahoo.com>
Bishop CA 93514
Two Pontiac's, Two GMC's & the FULMNTE
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: Tapered Roller Bearings

Post by monzaz »

On a c-clip axle it is .001-.030 I would say no more than that on the bolt in also. over .020 on new bearing would concern me a bit.

Did you use the correct seal?

Which part number did you use? 2146 or 712146 ? Jim
J D Race
milkcrateracing
Newbie Poster

monzaz wrote:On a c-clip axle it is .001-.030 I would say no more than that on the bolt in also. over .020 on new bearing would concern me a bit.

Did you use the correct seal?

Which part number did you use? 2146 or 712146 ? Jim
They are bolt in axles. The seal is on the outside of the bearing. SKF 16735. If I remember correctly I am at about .030 now. I know with a tapered roller bearing I need some preload but I have been unable to find out how much. I guess I could run them for awhile and pull them apart and inspect the bearings. The next question is how long is a safe while?
On another note. It has been real difficult to get any information on this upgrade to Timken bearings other than it is a real good thing to do. To be on the safe side should I just go back to the standard roller bearings? This bearing issue is pretty much all that is left to do before I can stamp the car with the good housekeeping seal of approval.
thx
Bishop CA 93514
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

I wonder whether the seal was miss matched with a wrong box??/ CAn you measure the thickness of th eseal you installed? .460 or .490? Let me know. Jim

Sounds like you got a bummer part. Jim
J D Race
milkcrateracing
Newbie Poster

Seal measures roughly .450. Wrong seal?

thx
Bishop CA 93514
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Sure sounds like you got the wrong part in the correct box or it is just plain out of spec. Jim

This would not be the first time. I have had it happen plenty of times with all companies and brands.

Sometimes a parts guy will pull both and then swap boxes by accident when putting them back in...OOOPPPSSS :( Not good. Jim
J D Race
milkcrateracing
Newbie Poster

The specs on the SKF 16735 wheel seal show an actual width of .470. What would be the part number for the seal that is .490 width? Keep in mind that the seal I need is on the outside of the bearing and the bearing is lubricated using differential oil. I measured the end play today and on the LR it is .020. The .490 seal would put me on the money. Thanks for helping me with this.
Bishop CA 93514
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

i ALWAYS USE THE 712146 PART NUMBER. That is it. But like I said before the 2146 sometime get mixed in from the suppliers. I have a part store here pull out ALL their seals and found they were all under spec. YET they were marked 712146. JUST alot of garbage out there. Jim
J D Race
milkcrateracing
Newbie Poster

That is the seal that fits the inside of the axle.
Now for my next thought. I'm guessing with 80-90w oil that if I had about ten thousands end play I would be O.K. Can I just shim between the bearing and the seal or between the seal and the bolt on plate. I have some pinion shims I could trim to fit. Any comments?
Bishop CA 93514
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

To tell you the truth I ACTUALLY have done this and it does work....lol. I just am not suppose to recommend . Actually thin aftermarket carrier shims for any 10 bolt work. You can cut them and split twist them on...pile them up to what you need. Give it a shot and see if it helps. Jim
J D Race