1970 Buick Canadian rear end

kkstage1
Newbie Poster

1970 Buick Canadian rear end

Post by kkstage1 »

I have a 70 Stage 1 4 spd with the original rear end , the posi unit is not working correctly. After opening the rear up the carriers are different 1 is 10 bolt the other is 12 bolt. Are there parts available? I was told this is a "Canadian" rear. I can't seem to find any parts anywhere. Any help would be great!!
Kent Kimbell
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 1970 Buick Canadian rear end

Post by monzaz »

Kent, Welcome...

Ok first we need to do some ID ing of the rears to be absolutely certain they are what we think they are. the 1970 American made car should have the 68-70 10 bolt 8.2 rear. It will have 10 bolts on the cover and 10 bolts holding the ring gear onto the differential carrier(posi or open) This rear will also have 2 different size carrier bearing and a 1.875 pinion shaft size making it totally unique from any other 8.2 rear diff.

Now the other Canadian rear you have is difficult to understand when you explained it.

Your saying it has 10 bolts on the cover and 12 bolts on the ring? Or does it have 12 bolts on the cover and 10 bolts on the ring gear. OR does it have 12 on the cover and 12 bolts on the ring gear?

Please check our ID differential section and see if anything fits with the pictures. If you can take some pictures and post them here we can help ID the rear. THEN we can get some where with parts and availability. Ok? Jim
J D Race
kkstage1
Newbie Poster

Post by kkstage1 »

Jim
The rearend is a 10 bolt. The carrier bearings are definately different sizes as well. This has no C-clips and the axles are bolted in from the outside like a ford or mopar . This probably doesn't matter but the axle ratio is 3.64.
Thanks Kent
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Kent, Well you have a pretty rare diff there. The posi you have is not supported by the aftermarket.

We can recondition what is left of the posi and get more life back out of the original. I can not guarentee the repair till we see the damage. If the spider gears are ok and the side gears are ok and the cones did not drill into the case too far we can bring this posi back to life.

Now as to how long it will last is not definite. The rebuild longevity depends on the material we have left to use and your driving characteristics. (a lot of slow left right city driving will doom any posi to a short life. BUT there is not much you can do about any of that.) If you drove a posi rear straight forever it would never wear. lol . You know that will never happen.

Now another option which is not truely tested for High performance use BUT can be done is a bushed driver side carrier bearing to make the larger bearing fit a carrier (posi) we can use. ( Auburn or Eaton posi unit)

BAsically your 68-70 buick 10 bolt 8.2 rear uses a 12 bolt carrier bearing on the driver side bearing(A36 bearing set) and the standard 10 bolt bearing race set on the passenger carrier bearing. The both and different inner diameter dimensions

Final option is to use a spacer with a NEW Auburn carrier 2.93-3.23 carrier and some redrilling of the carrier holes and spacer hole for the ring gear bolts. This will also work for your application . Which might be the way to go if your not going to drag race and are street bound mostly.

This could be one of those better left to a phone call to me to explain exactly what is totally involved and for me to get an idea exactly what your uses will be with the car and give you an opinion on the best option. Jim
J D Race
kkstage1
Newbie Poster

Post by kkstage1 »

Jim,
Is there a number I can reach you at?
Kent
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »