8.2 swap around questions

g-man65
Newbie Poster

8.2 swap around questions

Post by g-man65 »

Hello All....I have gathered some parts , I am wanting to make sure I have the right stuff before I get too deep into the project. Here's what I'm doing---I have a confirmed '67 pontiac 8.2 working rearend with 2.56 open carrier, WB on axle tube confirms year & ratio, as well as cover is off & counting confirms 41 ring & 16 pinion.A couple years back I picked up a supposed good used 8.2 buick LSD carrier with 3.08 gears set, 37 ring, 12 pinion, I want to swap this into my rear end. The carrier looks correct from some pics I've seen, but I don't really see any #'s--a blurry pat.# and maybe a ''101'', it has the six preload springs, I think 2 pinion....the ring gear has #1358165-12-37-g.m.c.....pinion gear has #1358166-gm-b-12-37....do these tell anything? Question, can I mix the gears, say 41/12, to get a 3.41 , or must they stay in certain count sets? Also, in my Pontiac books, i see a 37 ring used on several years, but no 12 pinion? Is this a buick pinion ? should this be of concern? To positively i.d. this carrier, i will try to post some pics ....I have pulled the rear out of the car, got the master bearing kit, was thinking of attempting the set-up, but now , seems a little more of a ''experienced ''type of deal , so is $300 a fair deal from my local tranny shop to set up the rear with my parts?...assuming i have usable parts :shock:
''slowly but surely''
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 8.2 swap around questions

Post by monzaz »

Hi Gman65,
Sorry It took so long. Heavy late winter early spring rush...lol.
1.) Ok, first off NO mismatching gears and parts. If you have a ring pinion set it stays together esspecially used. SO no you can not make a different ratio by mixing and matching used or new gear sets. The gears are lapped from the factory for each other as a team and will be quiet and work well together but if mixed with a different gear will probably make noise be tough to set-up or worse FAIL.

2.) The carrier you are decribing SOUNDS LIKE THe one you need for that housing...as long as the driver side carrier bearing is not larger than the passenger side carrier bearing, in this case it is a Buick 1968 -1970 carrier and the gear will not fit your housing.

3.) The original shims will get you close to the correct depth ....but you really should fine tune the pattern and the backlash for a good strong set-up that will last.

send them pics if you can. jim
J D Race
g-man65
Newbie Poster

Post by g-man65 »

Thanx for your reply, got it on the gear set matching, makes sense. Jim, maybe you can send your email, so i can send you the pics of the unit, the site here says my files are too big, I am not computer savy enough to know how to fix them. After looking more closely, I was able to see a few more #'s....pat. no 2-921 096 (could be 2-824 096) definately a big ''101'' also a big ''F'' on body and 04 5 (date)? axles are 28 spline, pinion is 27 spline. Is this a 2 series or 3 series carrier?...will it accept the 3.08 gear set?( supposed to have came from it, but, who knows for sure) Also, is the ring gear a press fit? It won't just slide on now, for sure. About the shims, I have a new master bearing kit, so won't I be using all new? I'm wanting to swap in different carrier & gears, so wouldn't that mean not using anything thats in place now? Lastly, how does that price above sound for install/set-up, including the new axle bearings/seals installed, reasonable?
''slowly but surely''
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

examples of 8.2 posi units Buick Olds Pontiac 1964-1972 bolt in axle rears
Attachments