New to rearend work, need help...

bigjay897
Newbie Poster

New to rearend work, need help...

Post by bigjay897 »

I just bought my first 80 monza used to be 4cyl. It has stock rearend, need to know what rearends that can be donors for the housing on my car. Like I said I'm new to the whole rearend world, and also on a budget. My car will see mainly street duty but the once in while blast down the strip. Going to have a 406 and 350 turbo with 2500 stall. Hope this is enough info to help in my quest for a good rearend. Thanks Jay
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: New to rearend work, need help...

Post by monzaz »

Jay, glad to see you using the site.

Monza rears are one of a kind deal. They have a torque arm which limits your swaps to 1976-1980 monza. you can use a Newer camaro rear if it is narrowed and all the perches are used from your original. (That just does not seem smart though considering the rear uses basically the same 7.57.6 posi and gears.)

Other aftermarket options are: MOSER has a 12 bolt cast housing center section that has the provisions for a torque arm and will again require you to use all your old mounting brackets from the monza and reweld them onto this custom 48" backing plate to backing plate rear. That is about it for stock bolt in application.

NOW if you are Drag raceing the 1993 -2003 S-10 V6 4.3 5 spd 2wd blazer and pick-up trucks with a tow package usually have the 8.5 big 10 bolt which will have the same exact width as the monza and you can ladder bar the rear under your car. THis is what I have chosen to do under mine ...and so far the test is working flawless 11.40 1.48 60 foot times at the track and it PULLS the front tires with the stock 30 spline axles. This is a stout rear for the application that it was truely disigned for ... a small S-10 vehicle. (this is basically a half ton rear under a compact truck)

It is the torque arm that is the difficult part around the Monza rear.

Here is what we do to strengthen the monza rear : start with 28 spline s-10 axles 2wd. then switch to a eaton or dura grip 28 spline 7.5 positration unit. Finally pick a good aftermarket gears set ratio you think will do the job for your needs...We can machine any gear set you pick so it will fit your monza housing with out any modifications needed, JUST LIKE THE STOCK GEAR SET.

I hope this info was helpful for you and your choices on rears.

Jim MItschke
J D Race.com
J D Race
bigjay897
Newbie Poster

Post by bigjay897 »

Thanks for the help... Does the eaton or dura come in the 2wd s10 also? On a budget so I'm trying to get all I can from a savage yard to help.. I will be checking back with you on the gears, I want to go with a 3.42, I think that will be a good gear with a 350 turbo. I plan on driving some distances to meets and dragstrips. Thanks again, Jason
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

Yes Jason, dura grip is made in the 7.5 26 and 28 spline also. Only problem is they are so popular they are out of stock at this time. The whole dura grip like took off so fast that the manufacturer YUKON gears could not keep up. So we wait. They are out of the 12 bolt 3 series and were out of the 8.5 10 bolt for a while there too. So keep checking back and will price you out something that will work for you. Jim
J D Race