New Guy Here

Come on in. Welcome to JD Race forums. Please come on and introduce your self, Let us know what your ride is. Please enjoy the site!! Please no questions. There is a seperate section for that. Thanks much.
jdon88
Rookie Poster

New Guy Here

Post by jdon88 »

Hello all. I just joined this site since I plan to upgrade the rear in my car soon. I was going to take it to a professional shop but after watching many videos I think I can handle it myself with support from this site.

I have a 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix, mostly stock. The rear is the original GM 10 bolt 8.5" Olds 2.41 open with bolt in axles. I plan to upgrade to a posi type with 3.08 gears very soon.

The engine is a Pontiac 350, originally a 2 barrel but I changed it to 4 barrel Qjet about 20 years ago. Also changed cam and timing set.

The trans is the stock TH400.

I'm still researching what type posi, brand of gears, and where to buy them. I'm leaning toward an Eaton Truetrac for the carrier. I'm trying to figure out which brand of bearings, ring and pinion gears, etc are quality, non-chinese junk.

That's all for now.
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: New Guy Here

Post by monzaz »

What type of driving will you be doing with this car?

like what is the cars purpose to make you happy...Example (burn outs, racing , road coarse, drag racing, ice cream getter? show hopper.... in state out of state trips...etc. )

we sell parts we use in all our builds. mostly Yukon and Nitro gear and axle stuff. we have used them for many years. We have also used other brands in a pinch.
I really do not worry about the country of manufacture these days as everywhere you go the quality of workmanship has a super LOW level.... :(

I have set up some really crappy US gear and Motive stuff BUT also have had some very good sets.

YOU JUST can not trust the companies to give you the real low down...EVEN us in the business have to weed our way through the piles of garbage out there.
In 20 years we have warrantied 1 posi unit from Yukon DURA GRIPS. That was even a ridiculous story to even tell that if i heard it ...I WOULD NOT HAVE WARRANTIED it...
Line locks, 502 cube motor not running correctly, stick shift car, Mickey Thompson street radial slicks, bouncing burn out story...lol.

Anyway we can part out parts for you if you need.

What was the camshaft you installed? part number ? Duration at .050? Cam Card? Something to help us know what your dealing with...

Jim
JD Race
J D Race
jdon88
Rookie Poster

Post by jdon88 »

I use the car for mostly weekend cruising, occasional burnouts, short duration trips.

The cam I installed was from Ames and described as 'OEM replacement for GM 066 cam'. I don't have the duration numbers handy.

I plan to replace the leaky 350 with a 455 in the next year or two. From what I have read, it is good to know rear end gear ratio before picking engine components so this is where I'm starting.

I didn't see too many parts listed on your website, should I call to see what you have available for my car?

Also, how can I tell if a part is good or crappy?

Thanks
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

We can not have the website on for purchasing because there is just too many factors in buying rear end parts...WE tried but people would always buy parts they thought they needed and would want FREE shipping back for their blunder of not knowing what real rear is under the Muscle car. there were many different A body rears from Pontiac Olds Buick Chevy 10 bolt 12 bolt etc. The customer would ALWAYS assume the caror truck had an original rear under it always. (In Muscles ...almost never original rear)
Sooo we control it now and with less people working here and EVERYWHERE. We could not keep up with the rush or orders going out and in Out yes but when you get a lot or returns it is just messy.

So we slow down ask for pictures and ID the rear you have and then we KNOW your getting the correct parts.
Everyone is MUCH happier this way. :)

Jim
JD Race
J D Race