67 GTO Bad wheel hopping.

GTO Fella
Newbie Poster

67 GTO Bad wheel hopping.

Post by GTO Fella »

I recently put in an eaton posi traction carrier and 3.73 gears. I broke in the gears and drove it for a few hundred miles and when I tried to do a burnout it wheel hopped terribly. When it had an open differential it would a little. It has a chevy 10 bolt in it. Would replacing the older stock control arm bushings with a polyurathane bushings do the trick or am I going to have to use a set of anti-hop bars. I have radial Uniroyal tiger paw tires that are about 90% tread if that makes any difference. Any suggestions or past experiences would be great. Thanks
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: 67 GTO Bad wheel hopping.

Post by monzaz »

Welcome.. .GTO fella..

Well wheel hop... USually bushings and or shocks can be the issue on that. Is the bad of the car stock ride height too?

I would say the bushing if never replaced would be your culprit also new gas shocks will help control the torque.

The NO HOP bars do work great BUT there is a trade off in pinion angle that may cause a vibration at a certain RPM...OR they may not. It is tricky to give a definite with out the car in hand and to measure things like pinion angles and ride height.

Try shocks first as they will be the cheapest and easiest to swap out and see if that helps at all.

Then move on to the bushing if needed and if they are original YOU REALLY should do them soon.

Jim -J D Race
J D Race
GTO Fella
Newbie Poster

Post by GTO Fella »

The car has air shocks on it and the ride height is a little higher than stock. The GTO rode to low stock for my taste. I think I will try the ploy bushings and see if that makes any difference. I haven't ever changed the bushings and I have had the car for 9 years so it is hard to tell if thay have ever been changed so it probably wouldn't hurt. Thanks GTO Fella
monzaz
Average Poster

Post by monzaz »

I can tell you the air shocks are probably going to be the problem right now. See if the urathane bushing knock it out and if not the shocks have to go... You really should not use the air shocks to control ride height. That is what springs are for. If your springs are weak I think you have answered your question. Air shocks compensating for spring ride height.... = WHEEL hop :) Jim
J D Race