School me on spark plugs?

monzaz
Average Poster

School me on spark plugs?

Post by monzaz »

Q:Was reading your post on spark plugs about yellowing or something. Anyways my ? to you is can you tell the heat range by looking at them,was told long ago by someone i must have held highly that the further the electrode cant spell it comes out of the plug the hotter it is is, this true?
You sound like you know so I'm hoping so.
J D Race
monzaz
Average Poster

Re: School me on spark plugs?

Post by monzaz »

What makes a hot or cold plug is the length of the insulated core of the spark plug which you really can not see. This helps transfer the heat away from the electrode to the head or keeps it warmer which ever is needed.

Meaning: HOT plug actual used in a cold low compression motor and a COLD plug is used in a HOT high compression motor.

Number range of plugs: 46 45 are the HOTTER AC plugs made for low compression and emission vehicles.

44 43 AC are your normal mid range...

42 41 AC are for COLD plugs made for extreme heat.

NOW if that is not confusing enough there are plenty of tips projected retracted multi grounds Y tips J tips platinum U groove...and on and on............__________ lol.

Best thing you can do for any car is to be sure you have enough ignition!!! PERIOD! A good multi spark ignition will make any spark plug do its job at 100% capacity. So be sure you have enough voltage and a reliable system before blaming the SIMPLE SPARK plug. Most of the time a spark plug works or it does not....AGAIN PERIOD!

Most problems can be tracked to distributor coil or just plain timing wrong or faulty advance in the distributor. Good luck and hope some of the info helped. Jim
J D Race